The XBOX One

I really wish MS would have a wish list feature on the XBOX store so I can track games that I want and see their prices. I would put Portal 2 on there for instance. I bought it years ago on the PC but never played it, but now I like to play everything on XBOX instead. I am therefore waiting for sales on a lot of games I bought but never played on PC.

You can use https://www.storeparser.com

The store team wishes there was wishlist support too. :-(

Oh shit, everybody brace yourselves for another round of console wars.

Every single time I get a pop-up asking me for feedback, and if I would recommend the latest store build or whatever, my reply is almost always the same, the store needs a wishlist feature.

The store needs a wishlist feature.

Pretty good article about what MS is getting right about backwards compatibility. I agree that Orta looks pretty darn amazing.

First on my wishlist is . . . a wishlist.

No, really.

Thought of this thread when I saw that article. I’m someone cringing about the fact that I’m on the verge of buying a PS4 Pro (a thing I neither want nor need) in order to get access to a handful of games (mostly Bloodborne, Horizon:ZD, GoW), and I would so rather get the better machine with 4k blu-ray support and a better online play system.

But man… the Xbox is just a wasteland if you have a good PC and no interest in games from the 2000’s (other than the Shadow of the Colossus remaster… go figure). I can respect it as the go-to cheap gaming PC though.

I do wonder if MS is going to actually fully embrace the idea of a generation-less future, just coming out with a new, better-specced console every 3 years or so and somewhat ‘retiring’ the one a few gens back (the iPad model)… but everything is still backwards compatible (including the ever-growing list of 360/OG games). Then this whole argument becomes somewhat moot. I think of it as the super-long-view strategy, and I’d be very ok with it.

On a completely unrelated note, I see PUBG is free play this weekend. I’m almost afraid to download it to try out out.

Okay, so I managed to capture a few Morrowind clips:

Everyone’s favorite town Balmora, on a foggy, overcast morning:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoYpIt4xbAoAwDJ__sR_1iH64jtX

Caldera, at dawn:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoYpIt4xbAoAwDPgYwcIjazAAatr

A mid-morning walk through the countryside:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoYpIt4xbAoAwDQJFAZ7WGaFGPmS

Entering Ald-Ruhn, a city built in the husks of giant insects and crabs:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoYpIt4xbAoAwDVKZ_lbeOV5V84p

Thoughts: it’s easy to forget just how awful the humanoid models in this game were- I think the first thing everyone installs is Better Heads/Bodies, or some variation of it. The landscape is low-poly/blurry textures, but I find I get used to it pretty quick- the lighting really helps with that.

Edit: hey, @wumpus, any way to embed these OneDrive videos in Discourse?

You’d need a direct link to the .mp4 file.

Thanks for those clips, @Don_Quixote. So many memories!

Morrowind was a game I purchased solely based on the artwork on the back of the box. The buildings had curves and imperfections and looked so organic. They weren’t plain, boxy structures like in most games at that time. I never played an open world RPG before but I knew I had to play this and experience that world, and boy was it worth it.

The Morrowind box was a work of art! Up there with the original Baldur’s Gate II box.
I can’t believe it’s been 16 years since release. Morrowind blew my mind with its atmosphere, art design and music. But I can’t see myself playing the vanilla Xbox version. Talk about many steps back.

Bethesda would make a killing if they released a remake. Though I imagine an updated port for current gen systems with higher resolution and updated character models would probably sell just as well.

On just my small amount of replaying to get those vids, yeah, it’s pretty rough- like I said, just the models for humanoids are terrible.

Speaking of those vids, i just clicked the links myself, and any artifacting you see is definitely not in the game at all- that’s just the xbox video.

May Games with Gold have been announced -

Woah.

Xbox one:
Super Mega Baseball 2
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

360:
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage
Vanquish

I don’t have any of those. That’s very cool.

I think @robc04 recommended Super Mega Baseball, but it could have been a different baseball game.

MGS V still gets people who praise it on the forum as recently as last week.

Vanquish seemed kinda neat. Vanquish thread.

Streets of Rage looks like shit.

Heretic!

I heard good things about the first one but I bounced right off of it. The promo for 2 shows a regular human instead of the superdeformed cartoony “fun” art style that I kind of found offputting. If I don’t like the art I don’t usually stick around.

Streets of Rage looks like shit.

If you didn’t learn to love that 16-bit style back in the day, good luck liking it now. Unlike regular old tube TVs, HD screens really expose these types of games’ shortcomings

Launch day inclusion of Super Mega Baseball 2? This might be the first month I’m actively jealous of the GWG lineup.