The XBOX One

Keeping the back compat train rolling into 2019. We already knew about Fuel from Codemasters’ announcement last week, but the others are new(s).

Sometimes the backwards compatibility news is an uncomfortable reminder to me that I own a lot of 360 games that I never played. I happened to own Battlestations: Pacific, for example, even though I never played it. FUEL is a little different. I owned that, and played it briefly before deciding it was one of the worst racing games I’d ever played, and the most bland open world I’d ever seen.

I always thought the idea of Fuel sounded really cool, but seems like everyone I’ve talked to that actually played the game didn’t really care for it.

Are they running out of good stuff for BC? I remember Fuel but never heard of the other two.

I’m still waiting for The Last Remnant and Resonance of Fate.

That’s an interesting question, and one we haven’t really seen an answer to. You could make the argument that the answer is yes - there used to be a website you could go to vote on which games you wanted to see get made backward compatible, and it tracked stats for requests - I remember stuff like Red Dead Redemption, the Modern Warfare Games, GTA and stuff getting lots of votes, and they’ve all been made backward compatible. So you could view that as MS prioritizing the games that are popular with users.

But there are still a lot of gaps - at about 550 games available for backward compatibility, that’s still about a quarter of its total library. Now there are probably a bunch of games nobody would miss, but I’m thinking we all have games we really want to turn up - where’s Fez, for Pete’s sake?

But then there’s also the murky area of licensing, and cases where ownership of the game may be in question. Sometimes it’s not the game itself but it’s soundtrack licensing that can be tricky.

And then there’s all those original Xbox games, can we expect anymore back compat releases? I sure hope so.

And what will happen next gen? I feel like, or maybe I should say I hope, that the success around this initiative compels then to carry all this forward. I love the idea of having all my games easily available on one platform, in some cases improved.

So, yeah. Lot of questions.

And I have no idea what Cuisine Royale is, but apparently there’s an open beta you can participate in:

Both of those games just got current-gen HD rereleases, so the chances of them coming to Xbox One BC are basically nil. (Shame said HD rereleases aren’t available on XB1, especially since The Last Remnant wasn’t even on Sony platforms before.)

I would think that’s an argument in favor of both games getting released to BC. The developer doesn’t have to do any work and just collects money from the additional sales.

Square Enix also delisted the PC version of The Last Remnant on Steam without releasing the remastered version on there. You vastly underestimate their greed.

I’m sure Square is happy to sit on their hands until Phil Spencer shows up with a blank check like he did for the FFXIII games (twice!).

I don’t follow you. Like I mentioned, the path of least resistance is just letting MS do all the BC work and rake in whatever money the new sales would generate from this.

I knew there was a Steam release for both but didn’t know about the Resonance of Fate release for PS4, hopefully it comes to the Xbox.

In any case, they should make them BC on Xbox one because the rereleases aren’t on the console.

For the sleuths among us.

Why don’t I have a title like this?

“Patron” isn’t good enough for you?

Hmm, could be

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
Lego Movie The Videogame
Slenderman The Arrival?

I’d peg that as Saints Row The Third but the other two sound right.

Yeah, I think you’re right about those two, especially since the Lego Movie sequel is coming out next month - not sure about Slenderman. Possible, though. What could the “W” game be, Walking Dead?

Game Pass updates are such a letdown. At least get my hopes up with backwards compatibility updates!

Senior Executive Associate VP of Patronage