The XBOX One

Man that’s tempting…

Got my buddy to do the same thing. He mostly games on a first gen X1, not even an S. He added a Denon 3500 recently with 2 upfiring Atmos speakers, and was on the bubble about adding a UHD deck to get more Atmos movies. Now he can game in 7.1.2 and watch the latest UHDs for under $300 bucks.

I gave in and bought it right before going to sleep. Can’t wait to see my wife’s reaction to me needing yet another console.

No buyer’s remorse at $500 on release, $300 is a steal for an X. Hope you guys enjoy the new systems.

$300? Damn. I paid $400 and feel like that’s a great deal for the hardware. It handles 4K about as well as my desktop system with a 1080 in it does, and that GPU alone was quite a bit more expensive than the entire Xbox.

The most exciting for me about the Xbox hardware is that Microsoft is finally doing what I had expected them to do with the very first console: take advantage of the fact that Windows owns the PC game space. I feel like they’ve finally stopping running away from PC and aren’t afraid of the fact that the Xbox is basically a game-tuned PC machine.

EDIT: I feel like I overused the word PC way too much. PC, PC, PC, PC.

For my Xbox One, I think my 4 “Groups” aren’t enough anymore. I have way too many games in each category now.

I think I’m going to add a 5th Group tonight, called “Currently Playing”. That way I can slide things in and out of that one. The other categories can then still be useful in reminding me which ones I mean to play next.

You’re like Bizarro me or something, using the features that I never look twice at, like sticking a TV picture in picture in the corner of your game so you can watch stuff while you play. I’ve never used the group thing, if I’ve installed a game then I’m currently playing it. What kind of subdivisions have you made use of with the groups?

I have one called Game Pass in which I keep all the game pass games that I want to install and play. This usually also includes the ones I currently have installed. This was particularly useful when I temporarily had Game Pass some months but not others. But since I’m going to have Ultimate Game Pass until the end of 2020 now, maybe that one won’t be as useful anymore.

I also have one Group called Gold, which was a good reminder of the games I wanted to play from Xbox One Gold before (one day) I’d stop subscribing. This was a good way to remind myself to play those games sooner rather than waiting.

I have a group called Short Games, where I put things like Aereo and SkyForce Anniversary, Skyforce Reloaded, etc. I go to that group when I’m not in the mood for some major game, just want to play something really quickly.

And then of course, I have the pins, where I have the current streaming app I’m using the TV app, Plex, and some games I have installed, and some games that are there to remind me that hey, don’t forget you own this game and should re-install it and finish it when you have the time. Unfortunately, that later category keeps growing and growing now.

EDIT: TLDR: It’s basically a function of my XB1 backlog being way too big. I buy too many games for Xbox that I don’t have time to play, and then have to find some way of reminding myself to play them.

Well yeah, I mean we’ve all been members of GwG for a long time, and between those free games and backward compatible stuff I bought way back when and just sales and stuff, my list of installable games is over 500 games at this point. It takes me forever to just scroll through the darn list.

Groups can help you sort through that stuff easier by organizing it! You should give it a try.

Sounds like work.

For your library, it definitely would be ;)

I’m starting to feel subscription optimisation anxiety.

They generally rotate through pretty slowly - as in, like, months. First-party stuff stays on it forever.

I believe Game Pass also gives you a decent discount on any Game Pass game you decide to buy outright, if you want to hang on to something that is cycling out.

All three Ninja Gaidens are installing now! Two of them are Xbox One X Enhanced! Fuck Scarlett!

Same routine with PC game pass:

Below - uninstall
Descenders - uninstall
Ryse - uninstall
Batman: Arkham Knight - uninstall, might play on PC one day
Ashen - uninstall, 30 fps
Sky Force Reloaded - what the hell, I’m addicted to this grindy shoot 'em up!

I still have to try Outer Wilds. So that plus a crappy shmup are the only console-exclusives I’d maybe bother playing out of Xbox Game Pass. PC looks more promising.

Outer Wilds is on the XBox store? I wonder if that means the PC version is incoming too. After Metro, Phoenix Point and Outer Worlds, Epic have gone from central to irrelevant for me in about 3 fateful seconds. Outer Wilds would be another little nail in the coffin.

LOL I’m also hooked on this shortly after subbing Game Pass. In theory it’s a short game because each run takes 8-10 minutes, but I spent an hour+ yesterday grinding 1 level to get the no-damage star. That’s almost 1/2 the daily play time!

This is unsurprising. The game really has a horrible start. It starts you off without any context in the middle of a battle. And it’s all so rote-looking and boring. And then they flash back and show your family, and that’s boring stuff too. And then they flash back and actually show you going as a Roman Legionnaire to conquer England and it’s barbarian tribes, and that’s where the game started getting its hooks in me finally.

By the end of the game, I really loved it. But honestly if I hadn’t played it close to the Xbox launch, when there wasn’t much else to play, I would never have made it that far. I still am glad that I did. But man, that game really wastes your time with crap at the start.

Man, I completely forgot about Ryse. I remember it actually looking pretty decent visually, but that it was also very closed off and linear as a result.