The XBOX One

I continue to hate my Xbone. I sit down to watch some Netflix and the 'bone says, “haha fuck you! Update available and I’m too retarded to update myself! Enjoy looking at your phone for the next hour instead of watching Netflix!”

Not only am I never buying an Xbox ever again, I’m buying stock in Sony.

Are you opted in to Preview builds, or is your console not configured for Standby / is in power saving mode?

The only reason why you’d ever see a forced update is if you’re in preview builds or if your console was completely off (not standby) for over a month.

I can’t tell you how many times my PS3, Vita, and PS4 have done that to me. Right up to having lost interest in whatever I was going to do while I waited for the update to run.

So, I’d submit that it’s not necessarily an MS-specific phenomenon.

Nope. It just sits there, powered on, 24/7.

Piece
Of
Shit

I get the PS4 not updating till I bring it up from sleep mode most of the time. I’m actually surprised when it does update a game/app/system properly. The Xbox is much better at this for me.

I don’t know what to say. Your Xbox should run all its updates while on standby if you haven’t configured it not to (complete power down) and aren’t constantly downloading preview builds. That’s true of system updates too.

I never see an update on apps or games. And I play some regularly updated ones.

Not sure what’s going on. But it would be good to find out what the differentiator is. Your experience sounds frustrating.

Me neither.

I never have update issues on my Xbox with any apps or games.

Sony devices were nightmares for me though in that area.

It’s worth checking settings and maybe contacting support.

That’s probably the problem. Set it to automatically go to Standby when it’s not being used for a few hours instead of staying on 24/7. That’s when it can do it’s updates. If you keep it on and turn off automatic shut-off, it can’t update when you’re not using it.

Or, if you just meant it’s plugged in, then maybe it’s in Power Saving mode, which means it shuts down completely when switched off, and it takes forever to boot up. When it’s in that mode, it doesn’t do updates when you switch it off.

Some salty first world tears going on in this thread

I hate my fucking xbone because all the games I’d want to play on it are pretty much already on my pc

I also get angry when I have additional ways to play games!

Doesn’t sony refuse to do updates while in standby mode unless you pay for PSN, or did they change that?

In Xbox related news, got Outer Wilds is great…

GameDaily.biz reports that staff across both streaming platform Mixer and first-party video series Inside Xbox have been affected, with members of the latter quietly let go just before E3 2019.

It is currently unknown how many staff have been affected, but some have already taken to Twitter to announce their unemployment, including producers Kate Yeager, Mara Baker and Terrance Thomas Jr, video producer Garth Avery, senior producer Joshua Hnosko, and product marketing manager Rukari Austin.

Digital Foundry is taking a look at what we know of the Scarlett specs:

In short: we don’t know a whole lot yet, but it seems clear that MS and Sony are pushing the envelope in very similar directions, which will enable similar developments in gameplay. The devil will be in the details only known closer to launch.

I truly wish that for this generation, “developments in gameplay” means more than just making it look shinier. Surely we can do better than that with all these cores and all that RAM.

Essentially, the move to SSD and the vastly faster CPU’s should mean more than shinier. Bigger worlds with more complex simulations. The much faster loading times also making for a more uninterrupted gameplay experience.

That’s the kind of next gen gameplay DF sees them moving towards. 120fps and ray tracing are the visual and responsiveness flourishes.

But it doesn’t seem to be only about shinier.

Hrm I think PC achievements are being listed differently than Xbox One achievements, at least for some games (win32 games maybe?).

Played a bunch of Wolfenstein II via my PC game pass and got achievements. The Xbox One console shows the achievements but they all have a blank background. When I go into the rewards app it refuses to acknowledge that I’ve gotten any Wolfenstein II achievements for the rewards quest purpose.

I don’t even know why it bothers me, it’s 200 points or something lol. It does though because my OCD has me going into the rewards app every few days to see if I should do something to get more points and it’s just taunting me.

I know ‘larger worlds’ is a shorthand, but I can’t imagine we’ll really see many larger worlds. Isn’t something like Odyssey big enough :/

Individual city-based games could definitely get bigger worlds, but I suspect the constraint there is more artist time than asset streaming bandwidth, though it couldn’t hurt.

Maybe this time they can actually do the kind of crowd density they were shooting for with AC: Unity (the one set in Paris, I think that was the name), now that the CPU will be able to handle it.