The XFL returns in 2020

Looks like it’s on ABC/ESPN app?

I just turned on my ABC station, and it’s not on there. So I guess I don’t have access to it. Is it in the 4th quarter now?

First game is on ABC, second was on FOX.

Who cares? No really, who does care?

Don’t look at me.

VInce McMahon, probably.

I have lost a bit of interest in the NBA and NHL lately, most likely because Detroit isn’t much fun to watch right now, so I am up for a bit more football this year.

I was surprised how enthusiastic the DC fans seemed to be at their game. There sure were a lot of fans with team gear already. That surprised me.

Yeah, there was enough of that to lead me to conclude they got free tickets and gear to show up. You have to build a fan base somehow, and having empty seats isn’t the way.

Maybe it included free beer too! Some of them were really into it!

The time has probably never been better for an NFL competitor. they’ve taken a pretty big publicity hit in recent years for their response to CTE research. A competitor the the NFL that emphasized player safety via rules and player contracts might be able to siphon off some of those fans who are concerned about the issue.

I mean, theoretically. Vince “wrestlers are all independent contractors” McMahon isn’t going to be the one to do that.

They specifically arnt trying to compete with the NFL, hence the timing of the league. This is McMahon thinking there are enough hardcore football fans to make a “secondary” league viable.

Yeah that’s kind of the point of the way they have timed the season. Football for those fans who are already missing the NFL and college football. They don’t want to compete with the existing products, they want to pull in fans going through football withdrawal.

Was XFL a summer season last time around, too? I wonder what they think is different that will make it succeed this time.

Is there still arena football? I liked that.

Perhaps running the season in the dead of winter when people are more apt to watch tv, than in the summer when they are not, may have something to do with it. Plus this time of year there is almost no football activity, whereas during the summer you have the NFL camps, pre season and other hype building into the regular season. There is zero competition with the NFL at this time of year. That doesn’t mean it will necessarily work but I understand the thinking behind it.

I found the highlights from the Saturday games pretty enjoyable but tried watching Tampa vs New York live yesterday evening and it was very not good. The Tampa QB in particular (Aaron Murray) was horrendous. The Houston QB PJ Walker looks pretty decent mind you.

I got a burrito near MIT yesterday and the XFL was on at the burrito joint.

Their uniforms looked silly.

That was my assessment after watching part of a game. Its like watching a farm league baseball team (but with some slight rule variations).

Of course years ago in the 90s when the Canadian Football League tried to colonize the US I was all for it. The rules differences are more substantial, and made for a fun game in my opinion.

And on this basis I’m perfectly happy for it to succeed. It provides employment for a lot of guys who otherwise would be selling used cars.

I doubt the salary wage is much above selling used cars for 99% of the players.

I’m lightly interested but there is no team here in Chicago.

And for arena football: the local team folded a few years back despite really good attendance.