The "Zachary Levi" Chuck as Captain Marvel? Shazam!

It’s been awhile since I have seen World War Z, but I am pretty sure new Hell Boy has more gore.

So how did he wind up seeing it if you said no?

He wasn’t bothered by the gore. It’s the zombies that freaked him.

And Netflix. Were pretty trusting with our kids based on our experience with his older sister, but he’s a little less interested in listening to us.

It’s always different with each kids.

My sisters would probably beat me if they knew i shared this but they both had issues with Tremors (and we’re ten year apart)… mostly because our house had a giant dirt yard at the time. My eldest nephew is still freaked about abut Jurassic Park. Course Tremors is a favorite movie for the family now but I will not forget my parents and two sisters huddled in a bed after the first viewing.

In the comics, Black Adam hovers somewhere around the Victor Von Doom / Magneto / Namor end of the moral scale. He’ll do something heroic if he thinks it will benefit his nation and his people, but he’ll also commit genocide if he think it’s a choice between that and the welfare of his people. Or he’ll just sit there saying, I don’t care, if there’s some conflict he thinks his country can just stay out of it.

With hindsight, I probably should have waited for this to pop up on Netflix, Prime or whatever. I certainly didn’t dislike it, but I didn’t like it as much as I hoped I would. It’s not down to the cast because I dug all the performances and think they did a good job with the casting. Didn’t care much about the plot though and didn’t find the villain very interesting. I got notably bored during parts of the movie - and most of it were action set pieces. The tone also didn’t mix too well with me - on the one hand you have plenty of “aw shucks, children are adorable! bits”, on the other hand you have the scientist burning up or the villain having the members of the board executed by the sins.

I discovered after seeing the movie that it’s actually fairly directly based on the opening arc of the Shazam reboot in DC’s New 52 universe, but they make a couple of important changes that I think result in the villain being boring and that weird tonal mix. The comic arc is darker all around, with Billy being pretty unpleasant and pushing everyone away in a much more aggressive fashion (though he’s still fundamentally decent below the surface). And then there’s the villain. Oh, Sivana is still present in the comic arc, as a driven scientist trying to locate magic since science didn’t save his family. But his only real plot role is to unearth the actual villain of the arc, namely Black Adam (which kinda explains why The Rock was being cast as him despite not showing up in the final version). And Black Adam, as a ruthless version of Shazam, makes way more sense as this unstoppable force and is also very casual about collateral damage. And he has a really quite shocking backstory and and interesting mode of defeat as well.

Happened to see the Teen Titans episode that covers Shazam yesterday with my girls and found it pretty amusing, if anyone comes across it.

Finally caught this from Redbox, and I had a blast watching it. Not perfectly written, but a film with real heart and great performances.

I saw it this weekend. A great movie. I also realized it had been a while since I saw an origin story. And Shazam is basically two origin stories. One for the bad guy, and one for the good guy. And both are pretty compelling.

And I got to finally see this. This was a lot better than I was expecting, way better. It’s also got some pretty scary moments, for a superhero piece, and a lot of death, like deep down personal death. I hated the look of Shazam. I thought the trailers made it seem really stupid and not as enduring as it turned out to be. I’d love to see more of Shazam, a lot more.

Director David F. Sandberg really made his name in the horror genre with his short films. He’s just released a new one.

A few things I really liked such as just showing the joy of having superpowers and trying the forbidden adult things. Just a great montage. The other thing was the very real jealously of the Freddie the lame brother to the fact that Billy got the superpowers.

By the way, if you haven’t gone through his YT channel “ponysmasher” Sandberg posts some great behind the scenes stuff like this:

I really like that video and so far this year I have miffed two whiny nitpickers by sending it to them.

Anything that tweaks the Cinema Sins crowd is a-ok by me.

Sequel title announced.

Shazam: Fury of the Gods

Also, Sinbad is joining the cast.

November 2022.

Wait, so you mean that Sinbad will finally actually star in a movie called Shazam? The timelines are merging. . .

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2553122/for-the-last-time-shazam-2-would-be-the-first-time-sinbads-been-in-a-shazam-movie

LOL. It’s so wild that people keep thinking he was in a Shazam movie (I think because of Kazam!, which was actually Shaq anyway).

This casting is essentially a complex rickroll. It’s brilliant.

I think the false memory people are also dimly remembering 70s reruns of Shazzan.

I refuse to believe anyone has confused Sinbad for Shaq.