Thea: the Awakening - Slavic TBS survival roguelike w/crafting & card-based combat

Played a bunch more last night and this morning during NFL in London. Still hooked, and enjoying the easy management thanks to small number of villagers/explorers. And I’m getting much better at the combat.

Agreed. And there’s an inconsistency in tooltips… in the crafting panel the recipes seem to lack tooltips, so you have to rely on the image to figure out what items you’re lacking.

Huh? Not sure what you mean.

When you examine town inventory there is a “dismantle” box on the left. Dragging crafted items to it breaks them down to their core resources. Try dragging a child into that box and you get a message saying children can’t be dismantled. :)

Speaking of children, I see children in the village apparently age into adulthood at some point, but how long does that really take? If 6 turns make up a 24 hour day, it will take 2190 to age a child 1 year, and almost 22,000 turns to reach maturity (assuming the child starts at age 8).

That’s some marathon gaming right there.

Not sure how long, but definitely not that long :)

Thanks to this thread this became an unexpected consumer of my weekend. I’ve had a few battles where my characters get reduced to zero health and have yet to have one die. I did always have a(otherwise useless) medic in my party at the time. He’s been switched out for a far more useful witch(she has a ton of assorted stats and can hold more than the medic could) but her medic skill is 2 instead of 5 so we’ll see if I start to lose people now.

The UI is definitely the biggest issue right now but otherwise this is a perfectly enjoyable game. The writing definitely isn’t King of Dragon Pass and the events seem to be quite a bit simpler, but I think the rest of the gameplay is a lot clearer and therefore more enjoyable to me than KoDP. Not sure how the late game is going to feel though. Seems like once you’ve unlocked a few things everything moving forward is just incremental improvements. Some additional very expensive buildings to work towards or other twist on settlement management would be nice.

In my current game, a kid just became an adult at around turn 35, fwiw. Your mileage with kids may vary.

Bunch of planned fixes for those not willing to brave the Steam forums:

Fix various spelling/grammar typos throughout the game.
Fix UI collider problems when screen resolution does not match monitor’s native resolution and/or ratio (so there is no offset for the mouse cursor when interacting with UI).
Fix music sometimes not switching between screens properly.
Fix problems with scrollbars (they sometimes disappear or do other funny things).
Fix a game crash that sometimes happens when loading (may result in a corrupted save file).
Add difficulty info to monsters, add spawn location info (contents and difficulty).
Improve pathfinding to avoid paths through enemy groups and spawn points.
Add an option to display Entity Info screen when right clicked on an item while resolving an event.
Disable tooltips on the middle column of Entity Info screen.
Improve visibility of resources on the hex map (hovering tooltip?).
Add a button to toggle equipped items on and off.
Add some way to compare equipped item with item currently viewed.
Add Settings panel.
Add difficulty levels.
Balance.
Additional effects and backgrounds for the card minigame.
Revised tutorial and help system, more tooltips.
Add ability to check your Party’s Inventory when resolving an event.
Add an option to change the name of a villager, expedition or village.
Add hotkeys for navigation.
Fix for turn summary icons not disappearing once actions are performed.
Add the ability to scroll map on edges.
Various UI tweaks to improve feedback.
Add a reshuffle option at the start of card minigame (to be able to deal your starting hands again if you prefer so).
Add Deity Info screen (a new panel that opens up when clicking on god’s portrait on HUD). Lists current god bonuses and victory conditions.
New artworks for end-game summary.
Improvements to map navigation and unit orders.
Fix a bug where you can equip a warrior with a jewelry item.

NEW FEATURES (possible but not definitive):

1. Steam cloud saves and achievements.
  2. Weather effects.
  3. Localization to other languages (much later - after EA, if ever).
  4. More events.

I picked this up cold on release day and played it up through like the 6th or 7th story mission. Lost 1 character so far, so I have like 11-12 villagers kicking around, some decent gear. Toughest battle so far was 3 orcs.

I loved it at first but at this point the annoyances have pushed me back to wait and see. The UI is inconceivably terrible, the writing is painfully bad, and the urge to explore diminishes after a certain point. The card game is compelling at first but becomes repetitive and more about numbers than interesting decisions. The hype around all the different ways the card game can be employed (stealth, hunting, diplomacy, etc.) falls apart when you realize all those different ways play pretty much the same, just with different stats plugged in.

The premise is great, I love the “4x survival roguelike” idea. But for me, the bloom is off the EA rose. I’m going back to Darkest Dungeon for a while, but will check out Thea again if they manage to address the more glaring issues.

i like it but am a little ambivalent on what this game wants me to do. graphics and style are good, there’s a ‘child-like’ quality to it that’s charming, i think my bugbear (outside of some poor ui decisions) is research. I don’t see it linking to anything. I don’t grasp how I use my ‘advances’. I have no idea what I need to do to craft a warhammer. Is it me? What unlocks better things to craft or construct?

Research unlocks better things to craft or construct. When you have enough research points, spend them to unlock something.

The ‘warhammer’ research is the next one behind ‘clubs’. Then it’s a matter of having the requisite resources to craft one - the kinds of materials you use will determine the type and stats of the resulting warhammer.

ha! well, i can see i’m completely missing the tabs in this game. this is up with me hitting the wrong button in combat for a fair while. with thanks.

Another Unity game that isn’t supprting a stylus or touch. Boo.

So I was gonna see what the daily/weekly sales were, and went to put this in my cart so I could get this and whatever else at once. THEN I see that the current deal only lasted 20+ minutes from then, so of COURSE I had to get it right then. ;) Can’t wait to try it!

Is there a manual out there for this? I’m very interested, but for some reason have the desire to, uh, read the manual…

NopeNope, no manual or guides I could find, meaning my two attempts today, even with the tutorial, were short indeed. I so wanna play more because I kinda love the setting, the bleakness of it all.

This is the beginning of a wiki but not much there:

http://muhagames.com/thea/

The Basic information page there is worth a look.

There’s a pretty extensive in-game manual. Click on the question mark in the lower left hand corner.

Ohh great, thanks! Thanks for the wiki link Tyler!

Alas, that doesn’t help me. Rats…

Try that semi-wiki.

One of my ladies just beat a skeleton (back) to death with another skeleton’s tibia.

Almost DF like.