There will be no cigar-chomping or vaping in Gears 5

That’s pretty much it - you play ten minutes and you’ve seen basically everything. You run from one arena to the next. Plot was, well, I forget. But it had a lot to do with Baird, who I don’t particularly care for.

Unlike Gears 4, which saves its best setpiece for the very end, Judgment has no secrets up its sleeve. Probably why it’s the forgotten Gears game.

I don’t think there is. I read a preview interview where their multiplayer director basically said that Horde was designed to be something you do on your Saturday afternoon, whereas their new Escape co-op mode was designed to be something you could pay on a Tuesday night after work (so, shorter time commitment).

I’m pretty interested to try Jack out in Horde mode, because it almost seems like you’re playing a different game than everyone else, as that character. You’re collecting weapons and bringing them back, and stunning enemies, and buffing your teammates, etc.

Is Ninja’s audience receptive to stuff besides Fartnite?

They’ll pretty much watch whatever Ninja streams, for a limited time at least.

I wasn’t kidding about the dollar bills, y’all -

I’d rather play as Dave Bautista in Ion Fury.

I have no idea who that is. From his googled pic, I’d guess he played one of the gears thugs?

So looks like Ninja is going to be Microsofts official “Influencer”.

I bet he comes out on stage at E3 next year to pimp Halo Infinite.

I don’t blame him one bit. Hey, it beats working for a living.

No? Never seen Guardians of the Galaxy, or Blade Runner 2049, or Stuber? OK, his part in Blade Runner is small and Stuber isn’t actually very good but still, dude gets around.

Oh he played Drax. I mean, his whole body was painted purple. I had no idea Karen Gillan played the blue chick’s half-robot sister behind all that makeup either.

Well I don’t know who Karen Gillian is so I guess we’ll call it even.

I had to look her up too. She’s the lady from the new Jumanji movies! I had no idea that was the same person as the blue lady from Guardians.

She kinda does look like the blue lady with that shaved head! I knew her from Doctor Who, where her hair was a big part of her look.

Bautista is a Gears fan and has been lobbying to star in a Gears movie for years, so I suspect this has more to do with that, than simply money. Sorta like when they cast Ice-T in the actual campaign of Gears 3, because he was a Gears superfan.

Gears 5 looks like it’s shaping up to be quite good, judging by preview impressions. Review embargo apparently drops tomorrow morning.

It’s generally fun to know someone is really into something when they take a role/gig.

Definitely. It makes it feel charming, instead of just like stunt casting or whatever. How many games have we seen over the years that cast celebrities, only for it to be pretty obvious that the person in question could not care less about games, and just got a big sack of money for it?

Tangentially, this is part of what made Keanu’s appearance at E3 so charming - you could tell he was being genuine and having a good time. Phil Spencer later said that apparently Keanu didn’t realize how many people were in the audience at those press conferences, and he was genuinely kinda knocked off balance by it when he walked out, haha.