They Are Billions - Zombies Meet AOE

When I asked in the Steam forums, the developers specifically said that they wanted the game to be difficult. They did not lie. I bought it because I’m in love with the concept and love tower defense games, and when I play RTS I’m a turtler. In my 11 hours of playtime I’ve yet to win a single scenario. I know the hardcore players are going to laugh at me, because it took them 50 hours before their first win or whatever. All I’m going to say is that this game is difficult. Maybe too difficult to be fun.

I love a nice, hard challenge and this game concept should lean in that direction. I’d probably start out on Hard and then scale back if I couldn’t hack it.

For me, the issue is more about the early access development model and then the price bump on release… the game shouldn’t come out of early access until it’s properly balanced.

I just referred to this baffling phenomenon in the Anthem thread. I just don’t get why people invest so much time in something and then come in with a negative review. Maybe thumbs sideways, but if it’s thumbs down, maybe, I dunno, PLAY SOMETHING ELSE?! Lord knows, we have options. :D

• Tom Chick, Professional Grouser and Palin Admirer

I don’t get the complaints either. I have a lot more issues with unit pathing and movement than i do with the campaign, but i certainly wouldn’t give it a bad review. Is it boldly blazing a trail for a 25 year old genre whose last great innovation was about 15 years ago? No, it is not. But i think it’s a pretty well executed game that stayed true to what the developers wanted to do.

Huh, so this is coming to Xbox? That’s news to me.

For me it’s his smooth talking and I just like the cut of his jib! To each their own, eh!

I died a couple of times on day six on theat woodland mission 600 pop until day 66 … until I learned to build some walls. I never could get the rangers close all holes. Also, pretty realistic. One infected was enough to kill my colony.
At the very end I almos lost on day 54 with 550 pop- one small outbreak, but I could send in soldiers fast enough. I think it took me an hour to get there. If I’d lost, don’t know if I retried.
It is nice and good, but failing a mission after 1+ hours and no fallback save is too hardcore. Why this perma death? It gets intense, I give you that.

I haven’t been following this thread since last year sometime, so I had no idea this was out, until I saw this article:

It’s out, and apparently it launched with a campaign that was too hard, because it defaulted to Challenging difficulty? The new patch will make the default difficulty Accessible difficulty.

Hey neat! I wonder if it plays well using a controller on PC?

You know, I thought the complaints of the campaign were overblown and likely from people who just had too high of an expectation of what an RTS campaign looks like…but after playing the first 5-6 missions I can say that the campaign legit sucks.

Pixel hunting missions, missions impossible to win unless you die multiple times to memorize map layouts, arbitrary blocks to upgrade paths to make the game even grindier - it has it all.

To be fair, you should be disregarding reviews from people who have only beaten maybe 1 map.

the difficulty is overblown. I am watching a lets play with Cristopher Odd and he got 100 pts. even before they made the missions a bit easier. He played the EA a lot, so I think for a experienced player, it is OK. But usually the campaign is easy to newcomers. I like it so far and sometimes I know what I am doing.

From stream watching, it seems like the hero missions find the interactable loot “feature” is miserable

I wouldn’t call them miserable. Just not overly great. They’re a nod to Tanya mission in Red Alert. There’s even an in-game call-out to Red Alert which I thought was well done.

RPS Wot I think

They give it a good ‘score’ (their Bestest Bests) but thanks the survival mode, they aren’t happy with the campaign.

I bought the PS4 version, there’s no campaign mode, I’m not sure why they’d leave it out.

Bump! I’m looking for a newer RTS and this seems to be solid from the reviews I’ve read.

Can anyone comment on the difficulty of the campaign on Normal or lower?

I’d suggest at least one test game at lower difficulty. This game is not forgiving, which is awesome, but it is nice to make it some distance through the tech tree before you master it. I’d also skip the campaign.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions. Why skip the campaign? That could change my purchase decision as I typically really enjoy RTS campaigns.

There are many posts not too far upthread detailing the many problems with the campaign. It’s a poor experience. The sandbox mode is quite configurable and very well done, though.

I found it’s first handfull of missions very generic - last so long, produce X, etc, with a limited tech tree - to be pretty lame compared to sandbox mode, which also is a tower defense but with the whole tech tree. There wasn’t a compelling plot any of the missions, as in the better RTS campaigns like StarCraft or the Homeworld series.

Maybe I quit too early, but it also had the inklings of being an incredibly long campaign. If I’m going to invest 50 hours in this game I’d rather do it in sand box mode, and eventually just watch the stitched together cut scenes.