Thief: Deadly Shadows save?

Anyone happen to have a Thief:DS save from late in the game they’d be willing to send me? Went through computer hell the other week in the middle of replaying Thief:DS and lost all my saves right at the beginning of Gamall’s Lair. Please PM me if you’ve got a save somewhere around that point.

As an aside, I really wish so many games wouldn’t automatically use the My Documents directory for saves – I transferred everything I thought I needed to my D: drive before formatting C:, but forgot completely about game saves and lost a pile of 'em.

Found this on the http://www.ttlg.com forums.

Save games for every level in Thief DS.

Uh, but wouldn’t having all games keeping their saves in one easy to find folder be better than having them scattered all over the place in whatever folder structure the developer sees fit? Also, don’t you back up your My Documents folder in a data migration already?

Actually, it’s quite sensible to avoid the My Documents folder like the plague, because it’s bound to that installation of Windows. If you keep everything in other folders, you can reinstall Windows whenever you want without having to worry about moving/backing up any data, and you also won’t lose anything if Windows just takes a shit on you, which has been known to happen.

I guess if you don’t know what you are doing this might be true. But real men know how to migrate profiles.

I guess if you don’t know what you are doing this might be true. But real men know how to migrate profiles.[/quote]

Do real men also know how to migrate profiles to a version of Windows that doesn’t support it? Do they know how to migrate profiles after their entire Documents and Settings folder and the rest of their Windows installation just up and goes corrupt one day?

Cause if they do, I’d like very much for one of them to tell me. Until then, I’ll continue saving files in their own folders, which is a simple, age-old practice, of which profile migration is an extremely poor imitation.

Yeah, the migration tool is extra handy if your Windows installation becomes totally corrupt and you can no longer boot into it. Genius!

What they said. Tying too many files into Windows, or even leaving too many important files on the Windows drive, is a sucker’s game. I usually shift all my important stuff to D:, or back up there whatever can’t be actually moved, but I never even thought about saves. I wish devs would give us an option to choose a save directory during installation.

Thanks a lot, Kalle! I actually went to TTLG first, but went straight to the forums and didn’t see anything there (was hoping maybe someone would have encountered the same problem and had already asked for help). Registered there again (couldn’t remember my old logins or email) but while waiting for the confirmation email thought I’d try here.

You people are nuts. If your physical drive is damaged then you obviously will have trouble migrating files from your My Documents folders, but you will then also have trouble migrating files from ANYWHERE, unless you actually store your games on a separate physical drive. Even if you do store your game saves on a separate physical drive from wherever you store your documents then you are still playing Russian Roulette with those saves, since there is nothing that makes it more or less likely that your C drive will fail over another drive.

Also, are you people seriously migrating your profiles onto different operating systems all that often? How many people reverse migrate from Windows 98 to XP? Just admit that you are stupid and luddite-ish in your refusal to use the My Documents tree and go on with your lives.

It’s actually quite possible, and not at all uncommon, for one partition to fail, for no physical reason. It’s also not at all uncommon for Windows to just stop working, for any number of reasons.

Even if you do store your game saves on a separate physical drive from wherever you store your documents then you are still playing Russian Roulette with those saves, since there is nothing that makes it more or less likely that your C drive will fail over another drive.

See above re: Windows stopping working.

Also, are you people seriously migrating your profiles onto different operating systems all that often? How many people reverse migrate from Windows 98 to XP? Just admit that you are stupid and luddite-ish in your refusal to use the My Documents tree and go on with your lives.

Yes, because there sure weren’t any versions of Windows released between 98 and XP. And certainly none that are as stable and secure as XP, and have almost every useful feature of XP, but run in half the footprint. Nope, there’s no reason to not use XP, just like there’s no reason to not use My Documents. If MS suggests that I use it, they clearly know better.

Even if Windows won’t boot properly, how does that keep you from accessing your My Documents folders? If you don’t understand how to get at least read access to your drive without a working Windows install, how would you expect to even get your saves off of the partition where your games are installed anyway? It is the same problem either way. Putting them all in My Documents just makes it EASIER to backup, simply by virtue of all the saves being in one place instead of multiple places. I cannot believe I am having to argue this point.

Second, of course there are versions of Windows between 98 and XP, but if you are talking about 2000, the files and settings wizard works on it, and if you are talking about ME then this conversation is over anyway since you are probably back in protective custody by now.

G-Man is right.

Why not store your Excel documents in the MS Office bin folder while you’re at it.

I’ll admit that you’re an arrogant, know-it-all cunt no matter what forum you post on.

I’ll admit that you’re an arrogant, know-it-all cunt no matter what forum you post on.[/quote]

Hey, that was uncalled for! I never would have known I was stupid if G-Man hadn’t pointed it out.

Thanks G-Man.