Thing Game #2: post-mortem

ps ice cream that was a great rant. i liked the three questions you posed, i was giggling like a school girl.

edit: and thanks to the original things for picking me! i had a blast being sneaky and stuff!

go team thing!

We figured right from the beginning that with 4 tests a day, we were going to lose a lot of THings. So, might as well be on our terms as much as possible.

mag rose was picked because, oddly enough, she had already been picked by majority for first testing the next morning.
The rules of the game made it such that if you get a thing first try, you only get 2 more tests that day (if both human).
It was pretty much an experiment, turning someone then throwing them to the wolves, to see how it would play out. One benefit is we could also vote for the sacrificial Thing, which might throw suspicion off ourselves.

I enjoyed playing this game a lot, I just wish I had had more time to go through old posts and try to identify patterns. I really though the humans had it for a while, but as the final test came closer I began ot have my doubts.

I’m pretty sure I suggested very strongly that I suspected there was a thing sacrificing movement going on.

Anyway, I’m not a veteran of these games or anything and I don’t know how often the Things win vs the Humans win but my gut reaction is that these games are strongly stacked against the humans.

:(

This game was a whole lot less stacked against the humans than the last game was.

The rules are definitely hard to balance. To be honest, I forgot to specify in the original rules whether the things would win if they reached the same number of things as humans (as in the Vampire games), or if they had to reach more things than humans (as in Thing game 1)!

Patrick asked me which it was via PM on the last day, and I told him it was the former. Then I had to stick to it… even though my simulations assumed the latter.

But the way it turned out, if I had used the other rule (“more things than humans”), it would have been a rout for the humans. The game wouldn’t have ended after testing SpoofyChop. Ice Cream Jonsey would have obviously been right, and at least three Things would have been toasted the next morning, leaving four humans and one Thing. And at that point, given up to four tests per day, the Things would have been doomed… there’s no possible way they could have won. I decided it was better to end the game at the moment of maximal tension, when the whole game hung on a single vote. Plus then I didn’t go back on my word to Patrick.

I think these rules are actually pretty balanced – possibly as balanced as they can get.

Poor extarbags, probably the worst human Thing-picker in the whole endgame :-)

Yeah, thanks everyone for getting into the infection stories. Since Thing attacks are some of the highlights of the game, I wanted to spread the love around, and the various Things really got into writing their own attack scenes. I sent the stories, with names, to the infectees; then I posted the anonymized versions as dreams so everyone could experience the horror. Worked out real nicely.

Note that I called Patrick and Stroker at the end.

Hah! HAHAHAHA!