Things to do in Los Angeles

Ok I did a google search for the Rib’s Rest and I can’t find anything. Where is that place because I must go.

It’s in the westernmost part of Gardena, on El Segundo and Western. It is a true hole in the wall, but the ribs were awesomesauce :)

We’ve started chasing the food trucks a little, and there are some great ones. No Jodas is the best cuban sandwiches in LA, Lardon probably has the best french toast I’ve ever tasted, and Barbie’s Q is far better than many of the well known BBQ joints here (Dr. Hogly Wogly, I’m looking at you). The Grilled Cheese Truck and Great Balls on Tires are worth a drive, too.

Not that this means the street tacos from your average truck aren’t any good.

There’s this MIHO Gastrotruck down here in San Diego that is all the rage right now.

For my fellow San Diegans: http://sdfoodtrucks.com/

Love the grilled cheese truck and GBOT. Also try Vizzi Truck if it comes your way, and Coolhaus. Vizzi change their menu on a regular basis, which keeps me interested. If you like foie gras, they are currently doing a foie gras “PB&J” which is $$$ but absolutely amazing. I mean, its better than the foie gras I’ve had in all but one upscale restaurant here. Other than that oddity, their regular menu is restaurant quality IMHO. Coolhaus is homemade ice-cream in interesting flavors, sandwiched between two cookies. Worth the calories. Nomnom is a damn good Banh Mi, but I’ve got kind of bored of it, since it comes right outside my office every week.

Skip LA and go to San Diego…

SD is nice to visit for a day or two to see the Zoo, Seaworld and their lovely beaches, but not worth skipping LA for.

LA is just a pain in the ass place to drive thru on your way to San Diego…

Having been there many times I just find LA to be meh…nothing against the people (heck I am a Dodger fan) but I much prefer SD or SF to LA.

Let us not have this argument, shall we? SD and SF are lovely little communities with their own energy, but LA is an awesome all to its own.

No argument needed. I think the size and scope of LA is a bit intimidating compared to the other 2 cities. I have a daughter at CSU Northridge.

Maybe it’s just the fact it took me 2 hours to get from downtown LA (picking up someone) to Disneyland last fall for a wedding. I hate LA freeways. :)

The traffic in LA is apocalyptically bad, and the public transit stinks. It is a huge city with far more cool stuff to do and see than I have time for a hundredth of, and the weather is awesome to all but a Honolulu native. But getting around it is increasingly a soul-crushing, blood-pressure-exploding ordeal.

I saw a pretty awesomely-named food truck yesterday: The Shrimp Pimp.

If you like to eat though, LA’s the place to be. We got every possible meal you could dream up somewhere in the city. I thought I read there were over 8,000 restaurants in the city. And every country in the world has at least two of its restaurants and places to hang out, or at least it seems so.

This is one of the most over rated places in all of LA, I don’t get the appeal at all.

Also soft shell > hard shell

I never knew you were such a pussy, Gordon. ;)

Agreed; Tito’s is right down the street from me and I never go there. Food isn’t terrible, but it’s certainly not worth making a special trip or waiting in line for it. (This also goes for Tommy’s and Pink’s).

My recommendations for out-of-town sightseers (in rough order): Getty Museum (place is so awesome, sometimes I go there and don’t even go inside), Griffith Observatory (get there early, parking is a bitch), Santa Monica Pier (rent a bike and cycle down the beach to Venice while you’re at it), LA County Museum of Art/Page Museum (La Brea tar pits), Huntington Library.

No kidding.

If you actually want good authentic Oaxacan food, go to Guelaguetza. Inexpensive and fantastic! The goat stew is to die for and they have a crazy, good collection of moles (very unique, spicy sauces for you rubes…). Plus, their wine list (yes, a fucking wine list!) is outstanding and very reasonably priced as well.

You and I must live really close, because I’m within walking distance of Tito’s as well…

Traffic here is indeed a goddamn nightmare. LA freeways are the worst I have ever seen (and they’re going to be working on the damn 405 until fucking 2013, closing ramps at random and all sorts of crap, it’s hell).

Oh it’s not THAT bad guys, sheesus.