Things to do in Los Angeles

It is that bad. Traffic is the only thing I hate about LA, and I really hate it a lot. My daily commute is 12 miles one-way. Morning is 45 minutes (carpool lane yay!), evening is 60 minutes. I seriously doubt that the northbound carpool lane in the sepulveda pass is going to be worth it. It’s the getting out of west LA that takes all the commute time.

I think he’s talking about that shitty taco shop.

No, I was talking about traffic indeed, which I never find that awful. Just expect it’ll take an hour to get anywhere and have music in hand and it’s easy to deal with. :-)

No sane person could possibly defend 405 traffic, what the fuck is wrong with you? The LA Area has dreadful traffic issues.

I guess the combined love for music, my car and LA in general outweighs any negativity I have on traffic. ;)

But the 405 doesn’t define all of LA traffic. At the same time, LA is the third largest city in the country. Is Chicago traffic any better? I know New York traffic is worse.

I’ve been told Boston is the worst in the country from many folks.

If there was less of this, there would be less traffic problems too:

A food truck became a barbecue truck Friday morning when it caught fire on the Long Beach Freeway, forcing the closure of two northbound lanes and leading to considerable traffic delays.

The Second City is actually the third - L.A. is the second. L.A.'s traffic seemed a heck of a lot worse than Manhattan’s, but that was a rather limited view of the latter on my part.

According to both Forbes and the Chicago Tribune, LA is the worst. WE WIN! ;)

Edit: NYT says NYC is the worst, but they’re biased.

Massachusetts in general sucks. Especially Springfield. And that was before the tornado.

Let’s face it. They all suck for traffic. We visited LA when we did our tour down the California coast a few years ago. We didn’t hit dreadful traffic until we arrived in LA. But it didn’t bother me much; I’m used to horrid traffic driving around in Toronto so nothing new.

LA Freeways are the worst. I don’t know why anyone would ever drive in Mannhatten. SF is bad in the city but getting around isn’t too tough and you do have BART.

I was watching a History Channel show over the weekend that declared Boston the worst place to drive…as the roads are all old indian and cattle paths.

At least New York, Chicago and Boston have public transportation that can take you to more than five places in the city. Getting around LA is a mess. Fortunately, Langer’s is two blocks from a subway stop. Good luck getting to the subway, though :)

I hear traffic in Hawaii sucks big time.

I drove from Boston to Springfield (rather than fly) just to enjoy the drive. And I did. I can’t tell you how thrilling it is to a Southern Californian to see rivers…with water in them…and without concrete bottom and sides! I’d do it again - if the traffic was bad by Massachusetts standards, well, then that says something about SoCal traffic because I barely noticed it.

My experience is only with Maui, but I thought I died and went to heaven in regards to traffic.

Driving here makes driving anywhere else in the US easy by comparison. I’ve visited friends in Texas, Philadelphia, Vegas, New York and other places, and they’re all breezes by comparison.

I drove from Washington DC to Lee, NJ…just west of the Hudson and NYC in a rental car and the only heavy traffic was because of a turned over propane truck. The “dreaded” Jersey Turnpike was a piece of cake. I can almost guarantee a drive thru LA would result in many delays than that and I would never know the cause.

Yup, floating bottlenecks, gotta love 'em. One person swerves or slows down to avoid something they thought they saw, basically forcing everyone around THEM to swerve or slow down as well, which causes a domino effect.