Things you should never, under any circumstances, ingest but are technically food

I mean, there’s nothing inherently wrong about Olive Garden, it’s just that Olive Garden much like most restaurants (especially chains) serve up massive potion sizes which are filled with a hell of a lot more sodium, fat, and carbs than if you were to make similar dishes at home.

It’s not unhealthy because it’s “not food”, it’s unhealthy because there’s just so much of it filled with excessive amounts of specific ingredients which make it addictive.

You mean chain places tend not to be the best? Well, color me shocked!

Olive Garden is fine. It’s not amazing by any means, but it’s not the dumpster water people are making it out to be either. It wont compare to the place my parents went with the first generation Italian immigrant that ran the place. I mean, that was pretty great stuff. But it’s certainly a step above Fazoli’s.

Yeah. Olive Garden is fine, it’s just not Italian food at all. It’s Italian-themed American-casual-dining food, much like Outback is Australian themed, or Chili’s is Mexican themed.

It should be compared to Applebee’s, not actual Italian restaurants.

Yeah, that’s a fair assessment.

Although what is “ausrtailian themed” about outback steakhouse? The dropping of the “g” at the end of words? I don’t recall them having anything that I’d think was linked to austrailian… although, now that I think about it, I don’t really know what constitutes “austrailian cuisine”.

Australians, if you ask the wildlife there.

Thumbs up, like, +1, etc

This post brought to you by people not liking likes.

The quoted text is brought to you by people not wanting to indicate to whom this reply is directed.

My Australian friend tells me there is nothing Australian about Outback Steakhouse.

He also doesn’t like it when I call the “Bloomin’ Onion” Australia’s National Dish.

I went there once here in Florida. Because guests get to choose where we go out to eat. The thing that I noticed is that their “bread sticks” are the Wonder bread of breadsticks. Soft, no crust, flavorless. Just there to fill you up. The salad was okay. I had ravioli. Pasty with hard edges. The filling had the same flavor and texture as the pasta. The sauce was thin and sugary. Horrid fare. Never again.

I can only hope you’re talking about Olive Garden and not Outback!

Let’s talk Outback. It’s a chain. Sometimes a chain is a good thing. When the wife and I were driving from NYC to Orlando we often stopped at several Outbacks on the way. In each and every one that we frequented, the food was exactly the same. Not bad at all. And not superb. OTOH the steaks were pretty good. The sides we very good. And the vodka martinis always had two huge olives in a very large martini glass. They actually, in every venue, cooked my steak to the proper temperature. There is something to say for a chain restaurant. At least for Outback.

Sometimes you don’t want McDonalds or Subway. Especially on a long trip. YMMV.

This is true, but it’s also the reason i don’t go to places like that is i can help it.

I’d rather go to some place that has good food, that is only in the place I’m visiting.

I’m pretty sure Crocodile Dundee said “shrimp on the Barbie” once. That’s about the extent of the connection afaict.

I can understand stopping somewhere familiar ten years ago so you know what kind of quality you’re going to get, but not in the age of the internet. Last time my wife and I went on vacation we just opened the Yelp app, found the nearest place that was 4 stars and 2 dollar signs, and everything we had was great.

Why eat the same thing over and over when it’s so easy to find something as good or better?

I have recently become aware that Australians dump ice cream in their coffee, and put beets on their hamburgers. What the hell you weirdos?

Don’t even get me started on fairy bread.

I’d put beets on my hamburgers, if I ever made hamburgers myself. Beets are great.

Damn. I need to try some fairy bread!

There is a small local chain here (Eureka Burger) that makes a veggie burger with a large beet slice in place of the meat. No, I have not had it. I have the lamb burger.

I’ve put ice cream in coffee…and whiskey.

Yeah one of my local brew-pubs their veggie burgers with black beans and beets and it is amazing. I like it more than their beef burgers.

Affogato is great.