This guy's an idiot

Did you take that line straight from the brochure? ;-) (Just teasing.)

And why do you think that is, Rick?

Fun fact, when I was a kid, I was at some community gathering or something, and this guy came and talked to us, and I remember saying to my friend after he left, “That guy is a total tool!” I had no idea who he was at the time.

That guy? Rick Santorum.

Most right wing personalities that still get airtime today are so clearly dumb fucking dingbat tools that I can’t believe they aren’t run out of town by the people they claim to be speaking for. Imagine if Al Sharpton and Gwen Paltrow were the creme de la creme of liberal thought. That’s the Republican party now.

This was abnormal psychology for me. I really don’t know how a man can possibly make lectures about insanity boring, but dude managed it. I had a good friend in that class who was a morning person and didn’t mind sharing her notes, so after the first two weeks, I just stopped showing up apart from tests. I think I missed some daily quizzes that were some non-zero percentage of the grade, but the tests were easy enough that I maintained a solid grade throughout.

Senior year, I managed a two-day-a-week, no-classes-before-noon schedule, thanks to the AP credits I came in with and having a bullshit major (print journalism). It was basically videogames, concerts, and friend hangouts 24/7 for 5 months, and it was one of the best times of my life. Really, all downhill since then, in most respects.

Differential equations isn’t exactly the most thrilling subject, but this guy made it worse. He would stand and face the board the entire class, and never turn around. He’d just write on the board and talk to the board in an entirely monotone voice, for the entire class.

God, I had the same thing. I ended up in a Psych class I didn’t really want to be, and then the professor was the worst lecturer I ever had. I ended up getting a D+ in the class because of the number of days I missed despite earning a B based on the coursework. I should have taken it pass/fail, but I was a Freshman and wasn’t savvy about that kind of thing.

As an engineering student, I had to take a five-hour calculus class every semester, every year. I think the 400-level classes weren’t even called “calculus” anymore… they were just “advanced math” or something.

Anyway, those classes – held every day – were invariably at 8:00 in the morning. I heard from business major or computer science major friends that they had days of the week where they didn’t have to get up before noon, or even days where they had no classes. I always assumed they were joking until my junior year when the 300-level calculus class was actually offered at 2 in the afternoon.

Man, my overall grades just shot up that year. It’s amazing what a little sleep can do for you.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

In film school we had to attend lectures on sound design by Tom Holman, who is apparently a genius in his field and one of the designers of the THX theatrical standard. It turns out the old saw that “those who can’t do, teach” sometimes runs in the other direction.

Had the exact same experience in Calc III. It was mostly review for me. I fell asleep every class. Eventually stopped going except for tests…

…which seems weird to me now because I’m an early riser. My senior year of college I had classes that started at 7am, but only on Tuesday and Thursday so I had 4 day weekends every weekend. Or if I skipped a day of class, I could abscond for 6 days at a time (which I often did.)

My antidepressants have me comfortably getting up earlier than I have since high school. I usually manage consciousness around 9:30 or 10 nowadays.

Going back into the office is gonna suck ass.

Just started going back this week. Can confirm: sucks ass.

Heh while teaching at an unnamed school in the Florida panhandle, you could always graph what day of the week it was by the percentage of students who showed up to class and the percentage of those wearing swimsuits so they could head straight to the beach afterwards. Rougly 1/3 attendance on Monday and Friday, roughly 2/3 attendance on Wednesday. But oh, those bikinis in class sorta made up for it.

I hope that was a college and university and not a high school or middle school.

Indeed, sorry to not make that clear. An unnamed school with a famous (and now dead) football player/actor as their most famous student.

I had an early morning vector calc class with a teacher that was so incomprehensible I realized I was on my own and just stopped going to class. Turns out he was so bad a large portion of the class complained and he was actually replaced. Which I did not know having given up on going to that class. Which led to a “Who are ?” “Um, who are you?” exchange when I showed up for the first exam.

They taught accounting at 8am at the JC I went to and yes, I took A & B at 8am. The hardest part was I worked until 12:30 at night.

I went back to the office in late June.

I had a class called Program Design or something. A Sophomore or Junior level class in CS where you learn how to code for real. Only, I’d been coding since 7th grade so I had picked up pretty much everything at that level by then. The class was about 150 students so was in an auditorium. I went to the first class expecting to get my ass kicked because this was one of three classes you had to get at least a B in or you could not continue in the program. The guy went over everything we were supposed to cover, and I realized I knew all of it. So I finished that class session and proceeded to attend maybe the first five minutes of maybe one class every week or two just to make sure I knew when all the exams were and make sure they weren’t covering something unmentioned. It was easy since it was a huge class to slip in the back row, look at what was going on for a few minutes, and go out and do whatever instead. The class was graded based on like 3-4 tests total and like 3 submitted programs? I can’t remember exactly.

But I do remember going to the mid term really well. I went to class that day, and got handed the test. I finished it in about 10 minutes, but spent the next 5 minutes reviewing because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something. I stood up after these 15 minutes into the 75 minute period and walked up to the professor. I said, “Is this the whole test? I want to make sure I didn’t miss anything” and showed him the pages I had. He said, “Yeah, that’s it.” I said, “Ok, here you go.” and turned around to walk back to my desk to get my things. And I swear, the ENTIRE auditorium was staring daggers at me. Just absolutely pissed. So I slinked out and didn’t even keep attending the classes I had been, since they were pretty far behind the stuff they’d meant to cover anyway by that point.

That all reminds me of my Fortran '77 class at 7AM my freshman year. My goodness but playing Asteroids was more fun than that. I didn’t last as a CS student very long…