This is a thread for PS+ (PS Plus) members

From Dust is worth playing at least for a bit. Fun little puzzler kind of like Lemmings. Ico is definitely worth playing!

You’ve never played Ico on the PS2? If not, oh my god, you’ve got to play through it.

WAGHH YES! Play Ico!

In my book, it’s the greatest console game of all time.

Making my way through some of the more recent PS+ offerings. Here are some general thoughts:

Bugsnax - I kept hearing great things about this. I just don’t get it. The voice work is so over the top I just want all of them to shut up. Didn’t finish.

Maneater - I didn’t finish it but it was pretty fun for a few hours. Gameplay is a little, ahem shallow. But it has a fun, goofy context.

Greedfall - Almost finished. Pretty mediocre RPG. I think it does some interesting things with the story and how the characters interact with you and each other.

Destruction All-Stars - Seems well made but it’s just not for me. Chaotic to the point where I don’t know or care if I’m winning or losing. Character design does nothing for me. Pass.

On the brighter side, it must feel to good to lighten the load of the PS+ backlog.

Actually, yes. I’m purposely loading stuff up just to give it a chance. If it doesn’t grab me enough to keep playing. I just drop it. No harm, no foul.

I’m going to keep on trying each and every “free” PS+ game each month. For Feb:

I ditched Destruction All-Stars. Just not my thing.

I completed Control. Yeah, this was pretty good. I found the ending a bit of a letdown as there’s not much narrative closure. But I really liked the setting.

I completed Concrete Genie. Short game. And that’s a good thing. Mechanically, it’s trying to do lots of stuff and I don’t think it sticks on landing on any of it. It held my interesting throughout and the gameplay takes a pretty severe left turn two-thirds of the way through, which was interesting. I loved the art direction right down to the Rankin-Bass style puppet lip synch. It’s weird but it works. I can’t say the same for the voice acting. The main character’s voice was just annoying. But I don’t regret my time with it.

On to the March offerings in a week or so.

Man it’s such a stupid reason to quit a game but I really could not stand that background whisper stuff in control.

The shooting and upgrades and telekinesis stuff was fun but not fun enough to listen to that stuff.

I got tired of hearing about “the celllll…and the PO-ster.”

I guess you guys are…out of Control.

Sony planning more new releases for PS+.

I expect we’ll see that new Annapurina puzzle game in PS5+ next week.

I’m always happy with anything that I couldn’t have bought for 5$.

Did you play the DLC? (After the ending go back to the elevator.)

Keep the impressions coming. I like posts like that :)

Re: My posts last month - I’ve started to play Ico! It took me 20 minutes to get out of those first rooms haha. I guess I’m too used to stuff that holds your hand for objectives.

Tell me about it. When Ico came out, I rented it for a week from Hollywood Video, but finished it in 3 days. I found the puzzles tough but not overly so. And I just loved that game through and through. Years later I bought the game used and played it on the PC using an emulator and like you it took me 20 minutes to get out of first rooms, and everything just seems so hard now! What the hell happened? Has my brain slowed down that much in the interim?

Oh yeah, and a similar thing happened to me a few years ago when I tried to replay Prince of Persia Sands of Time. I originally played it on PS2 and finished it easily, and one of my main complaints (that the sequel addressed) is that it was a little too easy. But when I replayed it a few years ago, I found the combat too tough.

Destruction AllStars was perfect for a subscription service giveaway. I don’t think they would have been happy with sales of that one. You could release a game like that 20 years ago and people would pay $50 for it. You can’t sell a game like that in 2021.

Good point. I wonder if we’ll see a new “S” tier of games emerge like “AAA” - S for subscription!

March:

Final Fantasy 7 remake! But they won’t get the PS5 upgrade that was just announced?

I really disliked the game. It was just way too long.

I still need to play through the original before I play through the remake.

Big month for plus, and that new oddy next month. Time to resub :)

I was surprised I didn’t like the ff7r demo. Hope the full game changes my mind. Happy to see another Vr game. Farpoint plays significantly better with the Aim controller. I’m most interested in Maquette.

Definitely play the original ff7 first if you can.

Between this and the 20 “thanks for buying a PS5” games, they are really showing up MS’s half-assed GWG offerings.