This is how At the Gates almost broke Jon Shafer

Title This is how At the Gates almost broke Jon Shafer
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When January 9, 2019

Jon Shafer, the lead designer of Civilization V, started working on At the Gates in 2012 and it almost ruined him. In a long, and very open, blog post, Shafer details the harrowing journey he took in the seven years since he started working on the game..

Read the full article

Damn. He could have just said ‘man that took longer than I thought but what indie game doesn’t’ and I would have nodded.

That’s too bad, I’ve been following the development of this game pretty much since it started as I was an avid fan of Jon after reading his thoughts on CIV V’s failings. I’m glad its finally done though, I’d written it off as vaporware.

Hey, it’s that old story of, “That was the worst fucking period of my life, but goddamn did I have some kickass artistic output…until life caught up to me, anyway.”

Except he didn’t really have great output, either, as he points out. He worked a lot but not productively.

The bit about sitting at his computer desk for 110 hours just blows my mind. I mean I’ve known some workaholics but that takes the cake. The whole goddamn bakery, probably.