This is the Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer. I'm sorry.

What the…

A movie director responding to criticism and vowing to make changes?!
What is going on here. Am I awake? Did I travel to some alternate universe again?

I was just about to post that haha

Yeah that is insane, and pretty terrible, because you just know that whatever VFX people they pay to do it will suffer through terrible crunch to get it done. Never mind that it shows how little confidence they have in their product.

Also is there not going to be any merchandise? That probably can’t be changed anymore, so…

Possible, but I wouldn’t expect too much of that.
Movies are rendered at least somewhat similar to games, in that you have 3D models and characters in an animated scene. They “just” have to replace the Sonic character. I’m fairly certain a huge part of their work can simply be re-used.

Still, I’d expect this to lead to at least some crunch, yes.
And, as usual, this proves how crunch is always a failure of management.

Not surprising, though. I mean… just look at the product ;) The most bizarre thing about the situation is not how terrible Sonic looks, it is how this terrible look was greenlighted and multiple people along the way thought it was a good idea.
What I know from people in the movie industry, it might not be that surprising, though. It is apparently one big, incestual circlejerk in which everyone finds everyone else totally great - not exactly the environment in which necessary criticism flourishes.

It adds one more layer of nightmare to the whole thing

A first version of their new sonic look has appeared:

I dig it.

I believe that @spiffy works in VFX, and may have some insight on the effort required.

We’ve been laughing at the trailer all week. I expect the failure here came from the top (executives-director-vfx supervisors) since the design is okay’d long before a vendor starts shot work. There is a tremendous amount of bulshitty “it has to look like it resides in the real world” dogma on the part of executives and vfx supervisors when it comes to live-action hybrid, who are for the most part either not artists, or come from backgrounds in lighting and comp, not animation and design.

The sad thing is there probably were a lot of artists really excited to hear that they landed the contract of Sonic, and are now just heavy-clicking their way to the end.

They were drunk.
That’s the only excuse for accepting the tiny human baby teeth.

Time to hit the tequila a little early this friday, I guess.

It’s just CGI. It’s not like a lot of footage needs to be re-shot because Kevin Spacey is no longer involved in the film.

Also, is “Richard Simmons-y” a new word? Can I use it from now on?

What’s “heavy clicking”?

The kind of mouse clicking you do with dead eyes and grinding teeth.

Ah, sure. The ol’ orange garage.

(Old co-worker had a great analogy about bosses telling you to do shit that you know is stupid. “Sure, boss, I’ll paint your garage orange. But don’t come complaining to me because you have an orange garage.”)