This is the Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer. I'm sorry.

Title This is the Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer. I'm sorry.
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When April 30, 2019

Everything about this upcoming movie adaptation of Sega’s blue speedster is a nightmare. From concept to casting, this movie looks like an example of Paramount making another Monster Trucks and not knowing when to pull the plug…

Read the full article

That really is the weirdest thing. Sonic looks hideous, okay, we expected that, but who is this movie for?

Do kids like Sonic? If so, would they even recognize “Gangster’s Paradise”? Why is that song in there?

I never intended to watch it anyway, it’s just so weird to me that this exists

I like Jim Carrey’s makeup.

I think Gangsters Paradise is supposed to appeal to the adults who once played Sonic. It didn’t work.

I really can’t decide whether or not I’m up for watching Jim Carrey play 90s Jim Carrey.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…

wipes tears

Buaahahahahahaahahahahaha…

This is like the opposite of that Mario movie (1993?). In that one, Mario arguably looked like a real-world Mario, but nothing else had anything to do with the source.
Now this abomination seems to go the opposite route, starting with making Sonic itself nightmare-fuel.

If I was ever a fan of Sonic, this might really upset me.
Thankfully, I can laugh about it. (Not that I dislike Sonic, it just never meant anything to me).

You guys are gonna feel really silly if this turns out to be good.

-Tom

God that was dreadful, but Carrey as Eggman works for me.

If this one is the very first video game adaptation that is good… I don’t know what that means, but it’s probably bad.

I was prepared to hate this, but by the end of the trailer I was enjoying myself. Looks like a lot of fun, and I adore the cast, tons of people I like here.

It looks terrible, but it seems like it might be the fun kind of terrible?

Yeah I will be watching this.

Perfect brain dead material.

And I like Jim Carrey.

He’s a hard one on the “can I separate art from artist” question:
https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/616049450243338240

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status/616076731254902784

Well, not really. I mean, I’d probably not ask him for medical advice when it came to my kids, but he’s a damned delight in everything I watch him in.

Also, to clarify, he’s not an anti-vaxxer, he believed (in 2015 at least) that not all vaccines had been cleared of thimerasol. I am not qualified to know if he’s right, wrong, or crazy, and I don’t really care, tbh. Mostly because he’s a comedian, not a scientist, so he’s probably not playing with all the facts. I have no idea what his current stance might be. I guess in the end, to me, bringing it up is fairly useless.

I don’t want to get too P&R in here, but when Jim Carrey was with Jenny McCarthy, he absolutely parroted her anti-vaxx nonsense, but that was back in '06-'10 before they split. I have no idea if he took that stuff to heart or not.

That’s what I found, looking around for a more updated take than 2015, but nothing really since. He got pretty well raked over the coals in 2015 for trying to say neuro toxins should be taken out, most folks seemed to agree the amount of mecury in vaccines was less than a can of tuna, I read for instance. Since then, he’s turned his ire to painting political satire? Looks like? He seems fine, honestly. People and their views change, maybe he regrets even trying to have an opinion on the matter.

Besides the face (which has a weird/uncanny feel to me) this is a pleasant surprise through and through for me…

Bad or not, the trailer is responsible for one of my favorite tweets ever.

This might actually be a blessing in disguise.
Already, this has been generating memes like there is no tomorrow, which is great! Certainly more amusing than the movie itself could ever be.
Additionally, it serves as a perfect example for the uncanny valley - which is something that, seemingly, even in 2019, many people working in the industry have still not grasped. So more education is obviously needed.

There’s basically no way this can be good. But I look forward to the Flop House episode.