This is what happens when a Twitch streamer gets "swatted"

Paid vacations, officer safety is paramount, at least they made it home safely. Etc.

The only mention I saw skimming the article was the family is suing the local PD.

Good.

Yeah, that seems about right. Fuck that guy.

These games should only support LAN multiplayer.

It is crazy to think that people can weaponize the police to murder other people.

You always could. The internet just made it easier to get away with and do.

I take it nothing is going to happen in regards to the SWAT officer that shot and killed him? I understand that things are tense in that situation, but the fact that no effort was made to determine if the victim was a threat (which he clearly wasn’t) before gunning him down in cold blood is one of the fucked up aspects of this situation that gets overlooked.

I’m not saying the guy should be behind bars, but maybe he shouldn’t be on SWAT.

No charges were filed, and the officer was cleared.

The family filed a lawsuit against the city, but it’s still winding its way through the legal system. The city, of course, said that it was a tragedy but maintains they did nothing wrong.

To take things into P&R territory for a moment, I’m not sure that the SWAT guy shouldn’t be in jail too. If a private citizen with a concealed carry license had shot the guy, the CC holder would be up for murder. Holding the police to a lesser standard for egregious behaviour is a really troubling trend in US policing.

Well, let’s be fair here. Private citizens are not generally authorized to break into people’s homes.
The police are in certain circumstances. There are almost no scenarios where you get to break down your neighbor’s door and not go to jail. SWAT teams are the people that break down doors for the police.

Which isn’t to say the cop involved might not have fucked the dog on this, but police and private citizens aren’t really subject to the same rules on this sort of thing.

I agree, and there may have been mitigating circumstances here that made the shooting fully legitimate. From the limited things I’ve read, however, the homeowner got shot just answering his door. If that’s true (and there are usually details that aren’t reported), I think the SWAT guy should have been charged. You’re absolutely correct that a private citizen wouldn’t be responding to a reported armed invasion, but as a homeowner, I don’t want to get shot for opening my door either.

And not to drop a controversial post and run, but I need to step away for a couple of hoursso I probably shouldn’t have said anything to begin with.

I agree, that said we do have a thread for that sort of thing over in P&R.

I got mixed up on mobile and didn’t realize this thread wasn’t in P&R. Sorry about that.

It’s one of those threads that walks the line if we’re honest. But we can save the police side of it for P&R while saying SWATters are scum without going too political, I think.

Who is the bigger scum? The policeman who has become nothing but a weapon, or the SWATter who wields him?

It’s an Ouroboros of American stink.

I still say the SWATer.

The SWATer, no question.

Still seems wrong that the policeman got no charges, but maybe I just don’t fully understand what happened. I’ll drop that portion of it in this thread, though.