This pasta is so good that it only needs one noodle

But that has cheese sauce instead! :P

Just about the only cogent criticism of this restaurant in the thread is Sparky’s: they should have better editing. Look at the actual menu, and there’s nothing shocking for that price range of restaurant.

What I’m actually curious about is what the source of this manufactured outrage is. Which reddit-like entity churned up a random screenshot and bullshit commentary that so impressed the OP?

Yeah, but 9 times of it would be decent-sized. It’s part of a nine course meal, designed for the eater to get all the way through it.

When I was a teenager I worked in a 4-star gourmet restaurant as a busboy. We served healthy-sized portions for all of our courses, typically five. I cannot tell you how many people failed to eat one bite of their main course. At least half, and many more couldn’t eat more than half of it. Many bailed out just so they could stuff dessert in.

Many people who eat in gourmet restaurants don’t care how much the food is and would prefer it wasn’t a gorgefest.

Just guessing here, but the apostrophe may be meant to indicate that the word chef is intended as an abbreviation of the proper French term chef de cuisine…?

Look at the actual website. Clicking on the “Our Chef’s” brings up the bios of two chefs, again under the heading “Our Chef’s”. Maybe they forgot “biographies” or something. For anecdotal evidence, I would offer the fact that I’ve only ever seen “chef” as an abbreviation and never “chef’s”, while I’ve seen countless people blow apostrophe/plurals out of their ass, again and again.

I like the way you think good sir.

Exactly.
when I was in school and landed a kickass internship I treated my wife (the GF) to a 7 course meal at a four star restuarant (or used to be four star, it appeared). The food was really good, the chef personally came to our tables and evertything was nice untill he served me the largest slab of foie gras I’ve ever seen as course three.
I was full to the gills and couldn’t enjoy the final four courses.

Ruined my experience of a very expensive evening and he wasted some very expensive ingredients.

You… you realize you weren’t obligated to eat every single scrap of food on the plate, right? If you knew there was more coming, and I realize this may be a challenging concept, you could have stopped before you were full.

If you just say ''I know jack shit about wine" without the modifier, it expresses your opinion better. :)

I do realize that. And I probably should have. Also ruined is probably too strong a term.

But hey, foie gras is hard to leave on the plate. And my point was that usually a menu like that has the exact right size servings for me to feel pretty full at the final plate, so I trusted the chef. When I eat at a place like that, I usually order the chefs choice menu with the recommende wine menu fully trusting that they know their job better than I do - I’ve only been let down this once.
I had ordered the 8 course meal, but had to ask for a course less, which meant saying no to a dish.

A fair point. However, I was brought up to eat everything put in front of me.

I grew up with the classics:
‘There are starving children…’
‘If you didn’t want it you shouldn’t have ordered it…’
etc.

Somehow almost conditioned to try to get to the end of a meal, no matter how much there is!

The problem with that dish is that if it tastes as good as it looks I’d want more of it, eight other courses aside.

Yes, but that means the food on your plate is wasted.

If you’re eating a multi-course meal, the courses should be smaller. You only need a huge plate if you’re eating just one or two courses. My wife and I ate at a restaurant in SF that cost us a good $75/plate, and the courses were the size you saw above. Thing is, though, was that there were seven of them. When the meal was over, we were very, very full – and we were able to eat every last bite. That’s how it ought to be.

Do fancy high-priced restaurants not let you take any leftover food home? I pretty much never finish a meal at a retaurant (that’s not fast food single serving stuff) but the waiter will always bring me a box to take it with me if I ask. “They gave me too much food for the price I paid!” seems like a bizarro world problem. Of course I’ve never eaten at any place high end enough to have more than one course.

Cheese is rather unique in that the more expensive it gets, the more it tastes like fucking wet sock.

I’ve had multi-course tasting menus. I’ve never been in a situation where I was served so much that I was unable to finish. I might add that the first time I did this, I thought to myself “Sheesh, these portions are small!” But in the end, I felt quite full as these small portions accumulated.

I have been to a high-end steakhouse where the steak sizes were on the outrageous size. I still had half a rib-eye on my plate and I was stuffed full. It was the same situation for others at the table. We took the leftovers home. I’m sure they expect this as they had fancy containers to pack them away and a large paper shopping bag with their name and logo to carry the containers in.

Pogo: Velveeta Fan Club President.

It’s more of a bell curve of taste vs. price :)

I agree some cheeses are much more flavorful than others, and tend to get somewhat expensive as well. Actually in reference to what Mordrak said, the flavor of many cheeses is altered by cooking, many times this results in a more pleasing flavor. I understand the point of making fun of a grilled cheese though, the joke wasn’t lost on me.

For what it’s worth I don’t frequent many high priced restaurants so I’m not sure if the OP’s offer is a good deal or not. I would be deathly afraid of a big miss and end up with a very expensive but very mediocre meal.

Do leftovers taste as good as food cooked fresh?

I’m not paying $75/plate for something that was cooked yesterday. And if you get e.g. Sushi, you don’t want to eat it the next day.