This War of Mine - Play the civilian during a war

This War Of Mine provides an experience of war seen from an entirely new angle. For the very first time you do not play as an elite soldier, rather a group of civilians trying to survive in a besieged city. During the day snipers outside stop you from leaving your refuge, so you need to focus on maintaining your hideout. At night you get a chance to scavenge nearby locations for items that will help you stay alive.

Made by the folks that brought you the Anomaly games.

I fear it will be the typical survival/exploration game, but hey, at least they have a novel setting.

Sounds like a good idea.

I hope this isn’t just another zombie survival thing with zombies replaced by soldiers.

At least the company has a good track record with the Anomoly games. I enjoyed them.

Saw it at RPS, watched the video, added it to my Steam Wishlist.

Mind you, that was based on the art style and concept alone. No idea if this will be a good game

Yeah it looks interesting, also wish listed!

Getting a heavy STALKER vibe from the videos. That’s a good thing.

Whelp this is pretty damn good so far. I just survived 16 days in this, knowing nothing about the game. Luckily the game is pretty intuitive but it will still take some time before you realize what you should actually be doing to stay alive “long term”.

I dunno much about the combat so far, I only managed to get gunned down by a shotgun wielding dude whose house I was stealing from.
The game is BLEAK. Similar to “Don’t Starve”, it’s all about screwing you over until you die basically. It seems to be hard but pretty deep as well. There are a lot of hints as to what you will eventually get to craft and how advanced things can get, if you don’t fuck up early that is.

It runs and looks great and I haven’t found any bugs or glitches at all so far. Admittedly I only played it once but that lasted for a good 3-4 hours.

It’s definitely interesting enough to make me jump right back into it with my improved understanding of the core mechanics.

Play this thing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, thanks for the impression. I love Don’t Starve, and this sounds very interesting.

James Allen of Out of 8 liked the games ideas but thought it got very repetitive.

Definitely going on my wishlist now.

Day 18: My best scavenger got shot down when he was trying to prevent a soldier from raping a woman.
Day 24: Killed a thug by pounding on him with a shovel, took his shotgun. His two armed friends arrived, blasted one, the other one fled. Took all their shit.

It’s getting colder and I’ve run out of materials. Gonna need to kill more people for their stuff.

Great… Day 29: My last survivor committed suicide.

This game is cheerful as hell!

.Wow.

Can anyone who has played fill in some mechanics regarding the game? Is it continuous action, and, if so, does it emphasize speed of clicking? Are you leveling up characters? Solving puzzles? Exploring?

The game is divided into two parts: day and night. During the day you craft and build stuff, taking care of the survivors needs, which are food, sleep, happiness, and warmth, and maybe some other stuff. During the night, you select one scavenger and outfit him with possibly stuff you crafted (bring a shovel and crowbar) then choose a location to go to where you can find stuff to bring back to your safehouse (which isn’t very safe unless you spend materials boarding up windows and set a guard).

It did get a bit frantic as I chased down and murdered some couple with my shovel… but dammit, I needed those meds to keep Marko alive, and their fridge was much better stocked than mine.

It’s a bit like State of Decay, crossed with Mark of the Ninja, with a touch of Don’t Starve and Papers, Please.

I’m liking it so far.

As Chuck says, scavenging can get a bit frantic - but those parts are at night when you’re only controlling one person.

During the day you can improve efficiency by being able to scroll around the house to keep people busy - you go here and dig through this rubble, you go and sleep, you go to the workshop and make a chair… you finished the chair, ok, go to the metal press and make a lockpick… you finished digging the rubble? Ok open this cabinet… you finished making the lockpick? Ok, go open that cabinet… and so on.

It’s consistent rather than frantic and some days you’ll have no materials and you’ll tell someone to sleep, someone to sit in a chair and someone else to run rainwater through filters and then wait for night to come.

I am spectacularly terrible at RTS-style clicking and this game doesn’t give me any of that sort of feel.

Ok… was told that a house was inhabited by thugs, so I sneak in and ambush one of them and then quickly hide. Her friend finds the body, sits down and starts crying right next to it, so now I can’t exit my hiding spot. I had no choice but to shovel bash her as well. When I return home everyone is depressed or broken because I killed someone… the fuck? I can kill THOSE thugs but I definitely can’t kill THESE thugs, game’s gotta make up its mind.

Once people start getting depressed it’s basically game over.

Found my first bug as well, I tapped 8 units of rainwater and went to cook with it and it said I had 0 water, inventory had no water either. Then I got robbed and they took 8 water from me…

29 Days is still my longest run.

Edit 40 days now.