Thomas Pynchon Bookclub

One of the real joys of Pynchon is finding those little one page (or even one paragraph) digressions that manage to have the weight, depth, and power of a fully fleshed out story. I haven’t started on the reading yet, but I know exactly the bit you’re talking about.

Dang, what am I getting myself into.

Given my shorter attention span these days and currently some stressful RL stuff I don’t know how optimistic I am about seeing this through, but here we go!

BTW, betterworldbooks.com is a decent amazon alternative for used books w/ free shipping from independent resellers. Got this for under $7 bucks shipped.

I read Devil in the White City a few years back, about the serial killer stalking Chicago during the World’s fair, and that keeps popping into my head as the Chums of Chance make their way to Chicago.

Awesome stuff everyone! I’m ahead of the curve right now (speedy reader). Like Mason & Dixon, this novel is very much a novel written in the prose of the time. MLA classified Mason and Dixon at an 18th century novel. Pynchon is a master of colloquial writing. I will be posting deeper analysis soon. Need to collate notes.

I’m trying not to get ahead. It’s helping me giving me time to gather my thoughts.

My wife has an intimidation problem with books. I bought her a kindle, and that helped her immensely. The paper white has different modes to show where you are in the book, as well as removing it completely. I have the opposite problem. I start to get depressed towards the end of novels because I don’t want to leave.

I’ve definitely experienced that with books, as well as movies and games. I’ve re-read 20,000 Leagues Below the Sea and The Three Musketeers so many times. Haven’t yet re/read any Pynchon yet, but maybe one of the shorter ones like The Crying of Lot 49, since it was a comparatively much easier read.

Seconding this. I’ll be finishing my present read shortly and get into this. I find that having another book waiting makes it easier.

My favorite thing about it (other than the Pynchon world building) is that this is just a slice. The narrator constantly eludes to other adventures by the Chums. I’ve never wanted a sequel or prequel from Pynchon before. Too bad he’s in his 80s. I holding out hope we get another novel from him. Also, I hope we can start a McCarthy read along in November for “The Passenger” and “Stella Maris”.

Ok, now I have the book, all I have to do now is read the book.

Since we are showing our books, here is my 1st ed.

My inner collector buys first editions for important books that stay in my backlog.

Boy, these chapters being unnamed and unnumbered doesn’t make group reading any easier. Yeah, the first part is 100 pages, probably a digestible lump, but the others are mostly over 300 pages – basically a novel each.

Afaiui, we are reading the first 80 pages?

Yes, this first week we are doing this chunk.

Might be helpful if we can put out the page numbers for both the hardcover and paperback editions for each chunk.

All right, managed to snag a copy from my local secondhand book store so looks like I’m committed. So to speak.

Just started it.

I’ve finished through book 1, The Light Over the Ranges. I think that’s the target, regardless of page numbering for ebook / hardcover / paperback?

I think the plan was to read through the first section as laid out here: Plot Grid of Against the Day

Light Over the Ranges is pretty manageable, but the remaining sections are all close to or over 300 pages and (I’d say) far too unwieldy for discussion. Not to mention, a big ask to tackle weekly.

Ah, got it. Thanks!