Thomas Pynchon Bookclub

I feel like 75-100 pages of Pynchon is probably the sweet spot for a weekly read.

Also, I strongly recommend checking out the Spoiler-Free Annotations by Page on the Against the Day wiki: Thomas Pynchon Wiki | Against the Day

Had to look up “embonpoint”

Of this first section, I think the Lew Basnight chapters are my favorite.

One of the challenges I remember from reading this book the first time — shortly after publication — is that, just as you’re getting in the groove with a particular character or group of characters and their current trajectory, Pynchon moves on to something else.

For me it’s the Chums of Chance ones (admitedly, they are majority in this section). I just like the humor and dynamics in the team, and the over-the-top characterization.

Also I like how the aeronauts’ origins are described (seeing how the whole world is in “economic siege” from above). The idea of a sot of Anarchistic/Libertarian society that can remain in the realm of the ideal because it’s not in too close contact with the ground (which I know will somewhat change, but also serve as contrast with the more violent sort of political actions that will brew). The Chums seem like a vehicle to trace the evolution of a single idea into multiple, contradictory concretions.

Also, all the suggested “former adventures”.

Of Lew I really liked the scene where he starts to feel symapthy towards Anarchists. I can’t remember well from my previous reading, but it seems the chapter itself points out that’s the turning point in his outlook (but we are not shown how yet).

In general I feel the different plot threads are somewhat clear so far, if you weed out the muddle.

• Chums of Chance → following orders, maybe start to question what for. Something ominous in the “ether”. Randolph conducts some shady business.
  • Professor → Selling out to the Tycoon. The Tycoon basically wanting to own the world.
  • Lew → looks out for anarchists, probably can be taken in many ways.
  • Merle → Looking for the anti-philosopher’s stone? Met Traverse.

And the themes are also pretty stable overall. The turn of the century clash between anarchist freedom and capital, and the encroachment of the later over all aspects of life in America (and Europe, thanks to FF). There’s something of a lament for a lost oportunity in the tone (and the monious threat of the loss becoming worse and worse until it’s overbearing and consumes it all). Perhaps the most directly political opening in a Pynchon novel (and that’s saying a lot).

Also, the typical conspiracy theories, etc are taken back a notch. They are there, but in general there’s a lot of stuf fin the open.

I agree with this totally. For those who are new to Pynchon, and like the conspiracy stuff, I’d recommend The Crying of Lot 49. It’s short and is well, about that in particular. I read it a month ago in a night. The Chums are for me the standout in this first section as well. I’m an old man, so I had to make a cheat sheet of the characters to keep them straight. I found out by the end of the section, I didn’t need it though. Pynchon is pretty good about saying names enough that I felt comfortable. However, we are going to be taking a break from the Chums for a while, so It’s not a bad idea to have a refresher sheet around, either.

I do love the Chums, and they’re probably my favorite thread across the whole book. But that introductory sequence with Lew just really hit some specific buttons with me that no one other than Pynchon does. In particular, the mysterious and monstrous affront that Lew has no memory of and no one else dares repeat, and the journey through the hotel–up the rickety, terrifying elevator–which doesn’t always travel in a strictly vertical fashion–with multiple detours on foot across planks and up scaffolding only to re-board further along, to his room, described as being cantilevered out into the autumnal wind coming off the lake. I feel like I know exactly how this impossible trip through this impossible space played out, as well as if I had watched it take place.

It’s an example of Pynchon’s uncanny ability to conjure up images, feelings, and narratives in a few paragraphs, sentences, or even words, that by all rights should take a full volume or more.

I adore it.

This is the most human and gut-wrenching mystery in the opening segment. All the other stuff is plotted mystery, something we know will be revealed in time, but Lew’s mysterious sin, the unknown thing he did that placed him outside of his society, which neither we nor he will probably ever know, is a sad commentary on the essential aloneness of every individual mind.

Man, Franz Ferdinand is a dillweed.

I’m only about half done with “The Light Over the Ranges”. Quite enjoying it so far. Some of the meandering sentence construction can be a bit dizzying, and I’m not sure what the book is about yet, but it’s an enjoyable read.

That was pretty much my takeaway after finishing it.

I guess one thing to keep track of is the passage of time. The great Chicago “White City” Fair is 1893. By the time you move through Lee Basnight’s story, meet Merle and Dally and, via them, Webb Traverse, you’re moving toward 1899. There are some event clues in the story, but it wasn’t always obvious to me, and the plot grid breakdown helped a lot.

The moment-to-moment is so enjoyable in Pynchon’s work, but keeping track of what actually happened on a larger scale (not to mention what any of it actually means) can be pretty tricky without an external guide or reference.

My impression was that Against the Day gets deliberately more fragmented, overwhelming, and bewildering as it moves into the 20th century, as history and reality grow beyond the ability to fully comprehend. Gravity’s Rainbow was a little similar in the way that it disintegrated along with Slothrop as a character.

For next week, let’s read 80-155, which takes us to Capt. Igor Padzhinitoff’s airship. Your pages may vary, but this ends 1899, and brings us to 1900

Damn, I’m way behind. Sorry for lack of input.

Ha, I haven’t even started yet. I have the best of intentions but that and a quarter won’t get you a cup of coffee.

I finished up our first chunk last night. I enjoyed Merle’s section more than I remembered, even beyond the Skip bit.

Even though I’m not the fastest of readers in the best of times, I find that I slow down even more with this book because the prose conveys feeling of very casual and almost gentle narration. I want to just luxuriate and soak it in, and any sort of attempt to rush would spoil the effect.

I finished the first part (up to page 100-something). Some really nice chapters there. I really like the Traverse family story… the Kit chapter is painful to read. You can feel how betrayed Webb feels, yet you understand the kid. And the poor mother…

And the chums of Chance in the Bellows of the Earth might be the best short excursion yet. It does take the crazy up to eleven, and makes sure everybody understands the kind of world we are getting into.

Yeah, I think the Traverse family story is the winner in that first part.

I recall finding the sections centering on Frank and Reef Traverse to be my least favorite of the book. They haven’t entered the picture for me yet with this reading, so I’ll be curious if I still feel the same.

At this point, it’s mostly Webb Traverse.