Those About to Die , Peacock Tv Series about blood and sport. (2024)

All ten episodes of the series will drop Thursday, July 18, 2024.

What are the odds of this not being hilariously, Emmerichy terrible?

I mean…

The series explores a side of Rome never before told

LOL.

Hey, Anthony Hopkins might raise everyone’s game, but…

Its takes place in ancient ROME and so I will watch it. :)

And, it is a story that has never been told! Did you know there were gladiators in ancient Rome? Wild! It’s kind of shocking it’s taken this long for someone to make filmed entertainment on that subject matter. Thank goodness for Roland Emmerich!

(But again, Anthony Hopkins! Surely he’s at the point where he can pick and choose his roles, and so perhaps by his mere presence he elevates this.)

Hey, I’m up for another season of Spartacus!

I sometimes think he signs up for movies based on the wardrobe they are going to make him wear, also the salary offered. :smiley:

I don’t think he was in Transformers: The Last Knight because he felt a really deep connection to a tale that needed to be told.

Hey wait, I though that movie was based on a true story!?!?

I don’t think Spartacus has anything to do with gladiators, because this show is telling a story about a part of Roman history that has NEVER been told! It says so in the press release!

You’re probably right. We all know the Academy likes it when people play actual historical figures. He was probably gunning for another Oscar.

Is it notable that they have a whole trailer for a presumably action-packed spectacle coming out in a couple of months that includes only about 1 second of actual footage that is indistinguishable from any of the many other gladiatorial scenes: from Gladiator to Thor 3 to Dune 2 to etc etc etc.

I will say that underneath the headline names on the credit is the series showrunner, Robert Rodat, who has one of the absolute wildest IMDB pages this side of Martin Brest.

I mean, he’s the sole screenwriting credit on Saving Private Ryan. Huzzah!

And the only other series he created was Fallen Skies (first 2 seasons or so, huzzah! Last 2 seasons of that…uh oh.)

His most recent movie credit is as the screenwriter for The Catcher Was a Spy, which is really fantastic subject matter…but the execution of the script was pretty terrible, and undermined a fantastic, factual story that just needed a screenwriter to get out of the way of.

If it is terrible at least someone will use that expression from a series that isn’t about Gladiators:
Once again, the gods spread cheeks…

Those days are long over. Hopkins is clearly cashing paychecks now, which is fine.

Looking at the casting. Apparently 10 year old girls were gladiators too. That’s the real untold story.

Oh wait I know. That’s the Christian they will feed to the lions.