Tiger Woods in Surgery After SUV Crash

Reports this morning say multiple fractures–basically one leg shattered. Multiple pins and screws in foot, ankle, and leg.

I’m thinking he will be struggling to walk again, let alone play golf.

He gave an interview on CBS Sports on Monday and he looked exhausted in it.

I think he’s done. Golf puts so much stress and torque on pretty much the entire body, and he’s already had a long history of nagging injuries, from his knees to his back.

Man, how do you take a light walk plus hitting a ball with a stick and amp up the competitiveness until it ruins people’s bodies?

In any case, I hope he makes it out as best as possible.

Part of it is repetitive motion. They’re swinging that club hundreds, if not thousands, of times a week. But they’re also trying to hit it as hard as possible most of the time.

It’s like pitching. You’re just throwing a ball. But you’re also throwing a ball as fast as humanly possible, hundreds of times a week. Pitchers mess up their tendons or stress fracture their bones all the time.

I think this might be key in playing more into old age like Nicklaus. Maybe don’t hit it as hard as you can? On the other hand, maybe the rest of the field does exactly that now, so you can’t compete without doing that yourself?

The entire point of the game is to get the ball in the hole with as few as strokes as possible. When the hole is hundreds of yards away, hitting it really hard is really important.

As I noted in another thread, one of the reasons Tiger blew up golf the way he did was he showed up straight out of college not only a gifted golfer, but in incredible shape. He treated the sport like an athlete. You couldn’t tell because of the baggy shirts of the era, but he was built. He annihilated the Masters course record so badly they had to Tiger-proof the course.

And sort of like how Gordon notes at the end of Batman Begins, what happens when someone shows up and completely outpaces the rest of the field? Escalation. Now all these young guys who are blowing up Tiger’s records are like him. They’re built, and they have the advantage of they don’t yet have the wear-and-tear that Tiger does.

A lot of players routinely hit it over 300 yards. You have a long par 4 that’s 460 then these guys are hitting driver and 9 iron, or something like that. If you’re driving it 280 then you’re hitting driver and 6 iron and are at a competitive disadvantage. The shorter irons are more accurate.

DeChambreau won the US Open with his “bomb it and gouge it” tactic, and he was the only player under par. He hits it farther than anyone in the game right now. The US Open is notorious for narrow fairways and very difficult roughs, but DeChambreau hit it so far he got closer to the green and he is so strong he just hacked it out of the rough onto the green.

This injury sounds serious enough that I doubt Tiger plays again. If he does he will be close to 47 I’m guessing. Players just don’t win that often in their late 40s. Nicklaus won his last major, the Masters, at 46. That may have been his last tournament win too, other than some Senior tournaments.

Plus, those are such unnatural motions. Your body isn’t meant to move like that and doing so is really violent.

Cause found, but they won’t release the results unless Woods gives permission. That could be because it’s medical related.

Didn’t @Nixxter mention the possibility of painkillers? That’s starting to sound more like a yes.

Yep. Though dont they normally release dui causes regardless?

I don’t believe he’s been charged with anything, so privacy laws would still be in effect. IANAL of course.

Man needs a chauffeur in the worst way. (especially now!) Has Joe Walsh taught us nothing?

My Maseratti does one-eighty-five
I lost my license, now I don’t drive
I have a limo, ride in the back
I lock the doors in case I’m attacked

Lucky I’m sane after all I’ve been through

Love that song :)

Tiger, please.

It took them hours to unwrap that SUV from around my Johnson.

Thats fast for a highway, yet alone a curvy hill.

They say he didn’t brake at all, which makes me think he fell asleep with his foot on the gas or was simply driving too fast and hit a curb or median and lost control. Sounds like he’s lucky to be alive.

At this rate it seems like it’s just a matter of time. For whatever reason(s) Tiger seems to drive his car into things quite a lot, so if I were him I’d just use some of my fortune to hire a damn driver.