Time & Scale & Perspective

I guess a thread for things that put time or scale in some perspective., Books, funny meme’s tweets, news stories, images. From “powers of ten” to pictures of children held by parents over generations. Its all on.

Provoked by this. They dredged a canal in Amsterdam then placed each item in chronological order.

https://belowthesurface.amsterdam/en/vondsten

http://timecube.2enp.com/

If Reddit does not scare you. r/nostalgia r/fuckimold

Of course there’s a time cube reference.

Lotta burner phones in that canal.
And drivers’ licenses and credit cards. And a gun.
Makes me wonder if I scroll down far enough I’ll start seeing corpses.

There is a bunch of foreign currency as well. Its all very Le Carre :)

Soooo coooool. They found a tombstone!

I wonder how all the keys got down there. That’s got to be intentional, right? It can’t be that 200 people stood next to the canal and said “Hey, throw me the keys!” and missed the catch.

They probably can’t show the best stuff. Can’t tell me that you didn’t find a single human bone or real guns? They probably had to be turned over for investigation. The gun they showcase is a toy gun.

I’m visualizing your scenario, and I love it. :)

There are a ton of online solar system models.

One great way to put passage of time in perspective: start with the year of your birth, then subtract your current age. That’ll tell you what year someone would’ve needed to have been born in order to be the same age at your birth as you are now.

Examples:

• someone who turns 30 this year was born in 1988. Someone who was 30 years old in 1988 would’ve been born in 1958.
  • I have a great aunt who is (IIRC) 94, born in 1924. 94 years earlier than that is 1830. There potentially were people alive when she was born who could remember the American Civil War and could’ve been the child of one of the Mountain Men, à la the characters in The Revenant, and was born during the Andrew Jackson administration.

The 10th President of the US, John Tyler, who was born in 1790 and took office in 1841, has two living grandchildren.