Tipping Fedex/UPS?

So ordinarily, I think one doesn’t tip parcel service delivery drivers. I think some people, if they get a lot of deliveries throughout the year, and their driver tends to be the same guy all the time, maybe tip at Christmas, but in general, I think tips are not required. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

However, we’ve just ordered a second air conditioner from Home Depot, with free delivery. We would have been happy to go get it ourselves (as we did our first one), but now that the heat wave has hit, everywhere is out of the stock of the size we need for the second floor of our house. Rather than wait around for some store to get them back in stock, we figured hey, we can have one delivered to our front door. It’s scheduled to arrive on the 9th.

So I sort of feel bad for the guy. This unit weighs about 110 lbs, and it will likely be pretty hot still when he’s delivering it. I’m likely to be here when it arrives (since I work at home), and I feel like maybe I should tip the guy.

Has anyone ever tips parcel service guys when they’re bringing a particularly heavy order? And if so, how much is appropriate? I mean, we tip movers, it’s sort of the same thing but on a much smaller scale, hehe. Thoughts?

I can’t help, but this just happened last week. I had an AC delivered from Amazon (store selections on ACs is horrible). It had to be 60lbs, large, and I live on the 3rd floor. Usually they just ring the bell and are gone by the time I open the door. Not this time, he’s standing there doing paperwork. I didn’t know what to do so I apologized for ordering something so big and thanked him. I didn’t really mean it, but felt bad and didn’t know what to say. He was a 20something kid that looked like it would be no problem for. He just laughed, said “Sure” and left.

I doubt they are supposed to accept tips, and certainly don’t expect it.

I tried once when I was getting a lot of heavy-ish packages from Fedex in the same week, but the guy declined.

UPS drivers are union. They’re doing fine.

In the US at least, most UPS and some FedEx drivers/delivery guys are are members of a teamsters union. They don’t need tips.

Bah. charmtrap beat me.

Don’t think I’ve ever tipped a ups or fedex driver (though I can recall my parents leaving Christmas bonuses for the mailman, etc). I have been known to pay cash to a freight delivery guy to put something in my garage or bring it inside instead of leaving it curbside or to an installer who went the extra mile.

The full part time UPS get a good amount of money, the part time not as generous. They just settled a new contract a couple of weeks ago thought so it may change.

The only exception for tipping UPS I think is around Christmas give them a card with some money. I liked my UPS guys. When I see my old one in the street we wave and shake hands.

For other outfits, they work hard too and don’t get paid as much. The guys that delivered a fridge the other day, they do a lot. I think anywhere from $5-$10 each is good, enough to buy a beer you know.

I’ll offer soda or water on a hot day. I don’t get that many bulky/heavy packages, though.

Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, I’ve tried as well and always get turned down.

From what I Googled up, it’s against FedEx policy for their drivers to take cash, but they can take gift cards. If you want to tip your FedEx driver have a gift card handy, I guess.

UPS “prefers” it’s drivers to only take gifts, but it leaves it up to their discretion. Like I said, though, they don’t need my money…UPS drivers average something like $60k a year.

I’m a USPS carrier and I’m more grateful for a bottle of cold water on brutally hot days than any amount of money. I usually bring a one gallon cooler to work but in the last couple of days I’ve been bringing it home empty.