Tips, tricks, and suggestions for the novice Red Dead Redemption 2 cowboy

Yea, the game guide states that you can get duplicates from the premium packs which can be sold to the fence. (I only notice these duplicate cards when I sell things at the fence.) I believe there is a unique version of every card out there in the world with 1 card from every pack being truly unique and only obtained out in the wild (can’t get from premium packs).

OK, I have not really been pursuing cigarette cards or much of anything else very seriously. I have found three dream catchers just by chance, and exactly one set of bones. I haven’t found a single treasure yet, mainly because I haven’t buckled down and tried, but now that I’m getting behind on my explorer challenges it’s probably time I did.

Speaking of collectibles, at least one of the common weapons has a unique version that you can find. I did a mission and afterwards, while looting, I noticed that one of the folks I’d killed had a rare Rolling Block rifle that has engravings and seems to have a slight bump in one of its stats. Other than from gunslingers, I’d been ignoring enemy weapon drops so this discovery certainly came as a surprise to me.

If your minimap shows a gun or hat icon on it, it’s worth checking out that gun or hat. It could just be your dropped gun or hat, but it could be a unique one.

Thanks. The game doesn’t say which way and I assumed the line wound over the spool and not under it. Needless to say I’m not any kind of fisherman in real life. :D

Thanks, but why the heck would they be there instead of with the hunting knife or on the weapons wheel*? Grrr.
Designers sure make some silly decisions sometimes.

*Actually maybe the lasso is on the weapons wheel.

It’s funny, when I go looking for my thrown weapons I always go looking under the knife part of the weapon wheel first. It kind of makes sense that it would be under the lasso since I guess that’s another thrown “weapon.” But it will never make sense to me that the lamp is under the knife.

Think of it this way: the standard light bulb fitting in some parts of the world is called the bayonet mount.

Correct, lasso, dynamite, fire bottles and throwing knives are considered “throwables” in the weapon wheel (lower left corner).

Believe hunting knife and lantern are considered “tools” like the binoculars (I haven’t used the lantern in a while).

Can you clock someone over the head with the lamp or binoculars? Now I really want to try.

Hey, I figured out how to equip a default loadout at the gun store, (“customize” option) but it only seems to consider guns, and not say, the bow. Is there no way to make that part of the default?

I don’t think so since there’s no way to customize the bow. On the bright side, you never have to clean it either.

That mission where you save the woman tied up on the horse has to be bugged because trying to calm the horse, like the proverbial goggles, does nothing. Shooting the horse dead seems to be the only solution.

I have had a hard time getting that to “stick.”

Yeah. I’ve found that I actually have to equip a weapon while riding my horse to make sure I have it when I get off of it. In towns. I’ll put it away. But in between - I always have the repeater ready to go. It’s annoying I have to do that, and the game just won’t remember.

I’ve also found that I rarely have encounters when I’m riding along the train tracks. Roads - all the time. Tracks - not so much unless I also happen to be near a road.

So is rescuing the woman tied up on the horse’s rump at at all possible without killing the horse? Has anyone managed to do it by calming it? Because on the PS4 it doesn’t work.

I don’t understand the question, what do you mean calm the horse? In my experience the horse gallops a little way off and stops, then I walk up, take the woman off and untie her. I don’t bother calming it first.

Same. Had this encounter a couple of times and had to chase down a horse once when I made a mess of the rescue. But once it eventually stopped I just walked up and took the lady off.

Oh, I’m also on PS4.

I’m on Xbox, but I doubt our experience would be all that different due to platform?

The runaway horse stops exclusively on PS4 first.