Tips, tricks, and suggestions for the novice Red Dead Redemption 2 cowboy

If you have a waypoint already, X clears is (which can at first look like nothing happened), and then pushing it a second time re-positions it under your cursor.

e: Also, I wonder if turning GPS off (or whatever its called) disables this feature?

Oh that could be it. I have the minimap off by default and just occasionally tap down on the d-pad to get my bearings. Maybe I’ll turn that back on.

Yeah, I have the same settings and I get the same lack of waypoint on the map. And frankly, I’m fine with that for now.

So, I know this doesn’t sound great for me, but does anyone have advice for dragging someone behind your horse without killing them?

It’s okay, we all know you’re doing it for the horsemanship challenge. The problem I had wasn’t the dragee dying, but the dragee getting disconnected.

-Tom

Ha ha, this game is going to turn you all into completionists like me!

Any tips on hunting just random animals?

I passed by some turkeys on my way back to camp the other day, and I wanted to contribute an animal to the camp for the first time, so I got off my horse and went into Detective mode to see some trails. I saw about 7 or 8, so I just followed one. It turned out to be a stupid rabbit. Where did those turkeys go? I can’t find any. This has happened to me whenever I’ve stopped to hunt when I pass animals in the wild. By the time I get off my horse and go into detective mode, I can’t really seem to pick up on the right trails.

If you study the animals you’re tracking, you’ll be able to tell what kind of track it is from then on. That way if there are multiple tracks, you can pick the one you want. Studying is easiest done with your binoculars.

Also, rabbits and turkeys are often right on or next to the road, so it’s easy to hunt them from your saddle.

So I was told by a co-worker that you can auto travel to locations by setting a waypoint and then start to ride to it, keep holding X to maintain speed and then turn on the cinematic camera.

You get to experience the entire trip but don’t have to direct the horse at all along the way.

Was this mentioned in the game anywhere? D:

I can’t imagine fast traveling, LOL! I get most of my enjoyment of the game through the riding around and exploring.

Yeah, it was pretty early on.

Ah ok, probably when they were telling me 100 other things to learn and remember. :D

I always mean to use the cinematic view when travelling longer distances but I just can’t help myself from interrupting the journey as soon as something catches my eye, which seems to happen constantly.

Yeah that’s my problem with the cinematic view, some animal will run across the trail and I’m all, Oh yeah it’s on!

I love that Arthur draws a picture of any animal he studies in his journal.

Does anyone also have problems locating the origin of whatever it is that is bound to happen close to Arthur when he’s traveling? I am regularly running around frantically, trying to figure out which direction the shouting is coming from and worried that by the time I’ve finally found out, it will be too late…

Your compass shows a white dot at the shout’s origin. Even if you don’t have it turned on, you can push down on the d-pad to pop it up.

I know for some events you’ll see a white dot pop up on the compass when a noise happens.

I’ve definitely noticed that gunshots get pinged on the mini map but didn’t realize that this happens with shouts as well. Thanks!

Yeah, the white dots on the minimap were the main reason that I switched from just turning on the minimap through the d-pad to full on having the extended minimap on at all times. Because the smaller minimap often is not big enough to show those white dots when you’re trying to figure out where the sound was coming from.