Tips, tricks, and suggestions for the novice Red Dead Redemption 2 cowboy

Thanks, all of you! Glad I asked, will definitely turn on the compass/larger map now, or check it next time.

It happens out in the country, but I have real trouble with shouts in the cities, which don’t generally generate a dot. I haven’t properly checked, but I don’t think they’re using directional audio for those. Maybe it’s all coming from the centre speaker, or all channels at once.

If they are using directional audio, it’s not particularly well done or I’m not hearing it right because i really struggle sometimes figuring out where a shout is coming from.

Hmmm I am using the varmint rifle on 3 star rabbits but only getting 2 star pelts upon skining them. Should I be using a bow and arrow?

Are you getting headshots? Don’t be afraid to use your deadeye juice to line up a headshot. Hunting is much harder than combat.

If you’re supposed to use the bow, the compendium entry for rabbits should tell you. Small game arrows are the preferred hunting method for some critters.

-Tom

Woah, there’s useful information in the compendium entries? I’ll have to go deep into those submenus now to check them out.

Yeah I remember reading something about weapon type for a given animal, if you track the animal press R3 on the PS4 controller.

Apologies if it’s already been answered up thread, but is there any gameplay reason to keep bringing food back to the camp? After the 50th deer donation I’m getting kinda fed up (aww yeah) with it. The food situation is always in the red when I return from my travels, and then I feel obligated to feed them, so off hunting I go… again

If you’re talking about the little color indicators in the upper right when you enter camp, I used to think those indicated what the camp needs. However, I upgraded the camp food provisions using the ledger (which unlocks a ways into Chapter 2), and the ammo cart, and both of those indicators became yellow when I entered camp. And then I upgraded three different things to level 2, and they became white indicators when I entered camp. So I think those indicators were actually tied to camp upgrades, not to the camp needing food, etc.

No - they’re tied to needs. For example, I came back to camp and the ammo indicator was red. I went to the ledger and restocked the ammo (since everything is already upgraded), and the indicator was then gold. So it is related to needs, but may only be related to provisions in the ledger. That I’m not sure about.

Yeah and the other thing that is confusing is that the levels are:
Red = Bad
White = Medium
Yellow = Good

Which seems very wrong to me.

It’s at least consistent with your health, stamina and deadeye meters. When they’re totally full, they’re yellow. Usually they’re white, but as they’re depleting they turn red. I’ve gotten used to it.

Good point about it being tied to needs, but I thought that just meant you then go to the ledger for restocking purposes, not bring in more food from hunts, correct? Or does bringing in food manually also help with the needs?

Here’s something that maybe everyone already knows, but I only just discovered, so what the heck I’ll share: once you unlock a clothing item that provides a benefit like allowing you to carry extra ammo, you don’t have to continue wearing it on your person to get the benefit of the additional ammo capacity. For instance, I kind of like the brown leather look of Arthur’s basic belt and holster, but the upgraded version is black - I bought it, and noticed it confers certain benefits, but you still get them if you bump the model back to the earlier one.

Do completing challenges give you any benefit besides unlocking the reinforced equipment at the trapper?

Not that I can tell. :)

Also was the option for morning coffee at the camp in chapter 2? I just noticed it in chapter 3 and its nice to chill with a few of the group sipping coffee.

It was. Coffee is an important part of my Arthur’s morning ritual. Not only because it refills your deadeye.

Also, you can buy a percolator at the general store so you can brew coffee at camps you make out in the wild.

Any advice for catching legendary fish? Specifically the one south of camp in chapter 3, the only one I’ve found yet. At times I can see the big bastard, swimming up to the bank, and I could just walk up and touch it. Tried to, in fact, but that turned out as you’d expect. But I’ve got the lake lure from the master fisherman and I’ve trued around dusk as advised, but the big guy ignores me. Anything I should be doing differently?

Did you guys know you can tap Up repeatedly, not just once, to call your horse? Up to 8 up taps with a fully level 4 bonded horse, and the more you tap up the faster the horse charges to you. Kind of cool, I thought.

You’re probably using the wrong lure. There’s a lake lure and a special lake lure. You can only catch the legendary fish with the special ones. If you read the description of the lures it actually says it.

There’s a lady NW of Saint Dennis that sells them all. She’s marked with a lure symbol on the map once you find her. Probably can buy it other places too, but that’s where I got mine.