TMZ reports that Prince is dead

Also remember that Chyna, Joan Laurer, has died also.

Sometimes seemingly subjective questions have objectively correct answers. For example, what is the single best Super Bowl halftime show? That’s easy, Prince’s Super Bowl XLI performance in the pouring rain:

I went to college in Minnesota in the early '80s. Prince was already a star - though we looked, the only time we ever saw him at First Avenue was on the big screen in Purple Rain - and I was more of a 'mats/Husker Du guy at the time. But he and his music absolutely dominated that time and place.

I remember the first time his music registered with me. Summed him up then, and sums him up now. RIP; the world is a much more ordinary place with him gone.

Also this is a tremendous behind the scenes about that show.

The morning of the show:

We’re in this truck, sitting behind Don Minscher (CBS Halftime Show producer), and he said “Put Prince on the phone.”

Don said, “I want you to know it’s raining,” and Prince is like “Yes it’s raining.”

“And are you OK?”

And Prince is like: “Can you make it rain harder?”

Yes, “TMZ reports” is indeed the most important thing here. Apparently. Let us talk about TMZ’s reporting.

I didn’t think I was that much of a fan of his until I heard this today.
Guy had class.

He was “too popular” for my taste back in the day.
And then I got dragged to the film “Purple Rain” by my girlfriend, and I thought it was great. It introduced me to more of his music, which I learned to really enjoy despite his popularity.

So I guess I’ve been a Secret Fan all these years.

At the time the thread was made they were the only outlet reporting it. Seemed appropriate to source it if untrue, given the number of rumors about Prince being dead that spring up on the internet every few years.

Hope things pick up for you.

BTW, TMZ’s latest report (see, sourcing!) is a whole lot of a bummer.

Prince was treated for a drug overdose 6 days before his death … multiple sources tell TMZ.

We broke the story … Prince’s private jet made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois last Friday, hours after he performed in Atlanta. At the time his reps said he was battling the flu … something we questioned because his plane was only 48 minutes from home before the unscheduled landing.

Multiple sources in Moline tell us, Prince was rushed to a hospital and doctors gave him a “save shot” … typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.

Fucking hell, Prince.

I’m still vaguely (if unjustifiably) angry at Philip Seymour Hoffman for managing to off himself that way. Prince, too?

Probably doesn’t need its own thread, but I just found out that one of my other musical heroes died today. Richard Lyons, founder of Negativland, passed away today, also age 57, though his was . They were definitely the coolest thing about growing up in the Far East Bay Area.

Shitty fucking day.

Headed downtown for some kind of mass mourning street party. Will tell you how it went.

Aw cripes, this news sucks either way, but I hope it turns out that he didn’t succumb to addiction too.

Evidently, his flu last week was really an overdose, so sayeth TMZ.

“I used to have a drug problem. Now I make enough money.”

• David Lee Roth, 1980

If only it were that simple. Sad, if true. I was hoping that wasn’t the cause of this. In the end though, no matter the path – it all winds up in the same place.

I am curious as to how/why he died. At age 57 and someone with basically unlimited resources…I don’t see how he just dies out of the blue of natural causes.

what5

I am very sad about this news. I loved Prince in the 80’s and Nineties and his “Gently Weeps” solo at the hall of fame induction was amazing, he blew everyone off stage.
I loved the albums and while commercial radio plays his pop classics like Raspberry beret, Kiss, 1999, Little Red corvette, Purple Rain. When doves Cry, etc you don’t get to hear his amazing ballads. I am not sure how long this song is going to be up but this is a great example of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12eysYdPLms

I understand why he disliked Youtube and people putting his music up on it, but I wonder if people got to hear his full albums more easily and not just the stuff we hear on radio that he would be even more respected.

I suppose he is plenty respected enough, but what about the ballads damn it!

Well said, sir.

I was never a huge fan although I did appreciate his talent, but wow growing up during that era as a teen was quite an experience. I still have vivid memories of all of the older girls on the bus every day just going nuts about Prince and gushing adoration for him. It would remind me of seeing the video clips of young girls behaving in a similar way for The Beetles back in the day. My wife was the same way with Prince and it is hitting her really really hard.

Freshman year at college the first film they played on campus for students was Purple Rain. I went in thinking I was going to hate it, but came out realizing I just saw a pretty important piece of work and learned to appreciate Prince from then forward for his talent and accomplishments.

A guy at the gym listens to podcasts of Fox News on his phone, on speaker, as he dresses. We all get to hear them whether we want to or not. It’s ok with me, as I get to catch up on a news source I don’t often follow closely, but it’s kind of annoying. I’d prefer no radio in the locker room. Whatever. Anyhow, the Fox folks were gleefully jumping on the overdose angle; I wonder if it had been some country star if they’d have been as enthusiastic, but also, whatever. One thing they did report was that Prince hosted dance parties on a regular basis, charging people a nominal fee to come to his estate and dance. He’d make an appearance, and supposedly his sound system was top notch. Also, no drugs, booze, or tobacco was allowed, and they sold water and energy drinks only. Fox interviewed a regular who said she never saw any drugs or evidence there of, etc.

Prince suffered from epilepsy as a child I understand, so I don’t know if there were other health issues as well.