To the Moon (indie adventure game)

Just completed this. What an extraordinary game.

This is now up on Steam. $7.99 for just the game or $9.99 bundled with the soundtrack.

I’d completely forgotten this existed and bought it as soon as I saw it show up. Looking forward to putting in some time with it.

For europeans, it is also on GoG, to get the best price etc. A charming game, made by it’s music in many ways.

Should I feel like a bad person because I find the storytelling so dreadful that I loathe the thought of finishing this? The pace is glacial, the humor is dead to me, and the greek chorus is unbearable.

Nope! There’s, uh, nothing but storytelling with this one, so I’d throw it straight into the rubbish bin.

Just finished this. Not much to add to the above. I do want to say that I appreciate indie games that make me go hug my wife afterwards. However, most of those are over in minutes.

And despite being a hardcore nerd, I find that “geek” writing and jokes often get on my nerves. Like Bill said, it jumps between serviceable and obnoxious.

For anyone trudging through this in the future: it does pick up as the game goes on. The first act is tough with all the pixel hunting.

How many Acts are there? I just slogged through Act 1 and am in Act 2, the second act being when they had some trouble with activating. I said slogged because OMG! it is so so slow! And it’s not even a game. If people get pissed at The Walking Dead for not having any game play, this is worse. For all I know, I’m just reading a very slow stock ticker document with nice music playing in the background.

Might as well quit now if that’s your attitude. And I say that not unkindly.

Absolutely. I think I’ll do just that…

Before I give up, I googled and there are 3 Acts, one being the longest. So since I was in Act 2 when I posted I decided to finish it. It got really interesting after a ‘big?’ reveal. And I have to say the story ended very well. It’s a satisfying ending and apt.

I’m ok with the pixel hunting as I do like the adventure genre but somehow this game had too much pointless clicking in Act 1. It just became tedious.

All in all, good game.

Um…(looks left and right)

To The Moon was recently updated with One Steam achievement - you get this when you complete the game. So if you want to get one Steam game with 100% achievement completion, just load your last auto-save game during the Space Shuttle launch and played through the 15 minutes to the ending :)

If you haven’t played this game yet, just a note that it’s on iOS now.

I recently replayed it on my iPhone and it’s a stunning work of writing and storytelling. One of the best sound tracks in games I can remember too.

I hope you play it if you’ve never played it, it’s so worthwhile.

Its sequel, Finding Paradise, just came out last month and it completely lives up to its predecessor. It’s very different, but so good in very different ways.

Movie!

Details copy/pasted from another forum.

From video description:

• It will be a collaborative project between Japan (main production) and China (main funding).
  • First tier Japanese animation production companies are aboard (specifics to be announced in the coming future).
  • The film project was made possible in partnership with Beijing’s Ultron Event Horizon, whose CEO, Danyang Zhao, was responsible for bringing the animated film “Your Name” to China.
  • Significant budget for the project has been cleared (quoted as somewhere above the budget for the production of Your Name, for reference).
  • The original creator of To the Moon, Kan Gao, will play a part in the script editing/advising process.
  • Freebird Games continues to create narrative-driven games with Kan fully committed. The production for the next Freebird game project has already begun, and is quoted to be 'quite bonkers.

Following information will be posted on https://twitter.com/tothemoonanime

That’s amazing news, because I can see To the Moon working really well as a movie. And if they get Makoto Shinkai to produce/direct it, that would be like a match made in heaven.