Top 10 games on home computers - Commodore 64

This is going to be far more difficult than my Megadrive and Intellivision lists, the C64 represents my golden age of gaming. It will also be quite interesting in the UK and US markets were quite different, both in games, genres and pricing. It’s also a list heavily influenced by the music, which still has a place in my heart as some of the best game music of all time. The size of the library in the UK was insane too, 2000 titles show on the wiki list., with a huge budget (£1.99) market appearing in the latter years.

Bruce Lee - This is interesting as it represents the difference between the earlier games and the latter, the graphics and sound on this are poor, especially if you compare it to say, the huge sprites and intricate backgrounds of Bangkok Knights. It did however, have some incredibly cool levels and platform challenges.

Commando - Great arcade conversion for one of the earlier games, FANTASTIC Rob Hubbard soundtrack, and a quick loader. It was hard to decide if to put this or the similar Rambo II in the list.

The Last Ninja - When gaming grew up. Quite astounding graphics for its time, a fabulous Daglish and Lees soundtrack, and insanely difficult pixel perfect gameplay. It took us weeks to get past the stepping stones on level one.

Mega Apocalypse - A sequel to arcade conversion Crazy Comets (which was memorable as it loaded in about 20 seconds), MA was an asteroid clone on steroids, and one of Hubbards best soundtracks.

Skate Or Die - the first decent skating game, much better than even than the similar era 720 was on the arcades. Another fantastic Hubbard soundtrack, and multiple games, the half pipe and street events were just as much fun.

Kikstart II - A brilliant £1.99 motorbike trials game, doing what Trials did decades before, but Kickstart II had split screen MP and a comprehensive map editor too.

Bubble Bobble - a great conversion of a brilliant game, this was a MP game that we played to level 100 more than a few times. I bet my fellow Bubble Bobble fans can hum the theme tune even now.

IK+ (International Karate +)- Archer McClean defines the fighting genre. Three players! Mini games, superb backgrounds that did things! Hubbard providing musical perfection

Leaderboard - a golf game, Im not sure if the best, but it was the one we obsessively played until the break of dawn and the list of great games is so long I had to choose some of our 200+ hours played games.

Wizball - Another stunningly original game, a shmup with a difference as you collect colours in a grey tone world, gradually breathing life and colour into a level, with the bonus of your friend playing the wizards cat. And yes, a brilliant soundtrack. Here’s a live version.

The C64 probably deserves a top 10 list per genre… and top 10 tunes. I’ve left out entire series of brilliant games, Dizzy, Monty Mole, Epyx’s * Games series, quality shmups like Armalyte. Imagine’s isometric platformers like Head Over Heels, Ultimates iso games including Underworlde and Knight Lore. The dawn of platforming with Manic Miner and the Jet Set Willy games. Ive left out godly authors like Andrew Braybrook. Ive missed the big sellers we all played a million times like Ghostbusters, Raid over Moscow and Beachhead. I wanted to put in more Hubbard, Galway, Tel and Dalglish music. I’ve avoided too many arcade conversions, as i could have populated the list with those alone. Ive missed genre defining games like Little Computer People or the 3D squad based strategy game Aliens. I had to trim Laser Squad and Great Giana Sisters because I didnt put as much time into those as others. I never played the Ultima series or many of the US RPGs or those more expensive big box things from the States but i bet they were excellent. I’ve missed quirky little wonders like Nebulous and Druid, so let’s see what you all played and loved.

C64 - my first computer!

In no particular order:

1. H.E.R.O. - I mentioned this in the Atari thread but I still adore this game.
  2. Ultima 2 - My first retail game. I was addicted for months.
  3. Amazon - My first adventure game. It was static images (that were good for C64) and a text parser. Finished this one and loved it. Written by Michael Crichton.
  4. Impossible Mission - ANOTHER VISITOR… STAY AWHILE… STAY FOREVER!
  5. Ghostbusters - Amazing for my 9 year old self. I was playing the movie! Except for the vacuuming ghosts, I guess.
  6. Legacy of the Ancients - Loved loved loved this,at the time.
  7. Space Taxi - Pad 5, please.
  8. Mail Order Monsters - I still remember the victory music as they approached the podium after a battle. Designing your own monster was awesome too.
  9. Summer/Winter/World/Etc Games - I always enjoyed these, but I think I liked Winter Games the most.
  10. Bruce Lee - Great (and sometimes frustrating) platform game. I fired this up on an emulator recently and still loved it.

Oh man, my first “real” PC experience, like with a floppy drive and stuff. I owned just hundreds of games, which I will confess mostly came into my possession from a friend who knew people who could get me free games, all I had to give him was blank disks, which I did. I do regret that I did this now, but at the time I was a teenager who wanted to play games and could afford very little. I’m sure I’ll smoke a turd in hell for it, as Robin Williams would say. On to the list!

I could cheese this list by just saying all my top ten is Infocom games. And even though that would be true, it would be boring. So I’ll just say the top three are Planetfall, A Mind Forever Voyaging and Zork. I mean, I could say any, but those were probably tops for me.

Bruce Lee was kickass, and you could play co-op as a big green sumo wrestler. So that was cool.

Loved Blue Max, gameplay was basically angled into the background like Zaxxon, just with WWII biplane action.

Impossible Mission, well named because I never beat it despite logging many many hours. Also my first experience with digitized speech! Hey, they were simpler times.

Skyfox, I remember this as being Battlezone pretty much, except you could fly as well. OK my memory isn’t what it used to be, I may be getting it confused with something else.

I played so many friggin’ RPGs on this system, too. Standouts would be Ultima IV and V and The Magic Candle, my all-time fave. Also Starflight, my other all-time fave. That’s right, I have two.

Paradroid x 10

Did Braybrook make any bad games? I trimmed Morpheus from the list as it was a bit tricky to play, and more memorable for being the first cruiser/capital ship based shmup with upgrade and turret slots.

I think the only other one I tried from him was Uridium which was also great. All the Jeff Minter games were also fantastic.

How could I forget Jeff, i even watched him feeding his flock on Periscope recently

Braybrook did some sublime conversions of Rainbow Islands on the Amiga and ST before moving to the City and ££££££££

Rainbow Islands was such a good game. I won my brother a Rhino tank in Warhammer 40K by challenging his gamesmaster to the highest score on it. If you don’t have at least double rainbows by the time you reach the vampire boss then it was almost impossible to defeat, luckily I did, my opposition however did not.

no games on the c64 were good.

shudder

flashedback to high school 1989 there for a second. sorry guys.

So you had a ZX Spectrum then? Poor bastard!

Nooooo a Spectrum owner. You need to create your own thread.

Hah, I dont see a thriving live band and home musician scene based around 4 channel Spectrum bleeps.

I see you guys are keeping the spirit of 1989 alive!

The Amstrad owner is currently weeping as 10 good games were never released.

And the posh kid with the Beeb still has no mates.

/whistles looks innocent

There’s a reason Elite isnt in my C64 list…

Oh I forgot about the Broderbund games, which I mentioned in the dearly departed thread. Loderunner, Choplifter, Raid on Bungeling Bay … so many classics.

I played Choplifter so much on my Sega Master System

Racing Destruction Set
Mail Order Monsters
Adventure Construction Set
Elite
Raid Over Bungeling Bay
Archon
Carriers at War
Jumpman
Seven Cities of Gold
Zork

Too many to name, but standouts: