Top Gun: Maverick

I hadn’t been to the movie theater in years. It was 32 minutes of commercials and previews and the picture looked like it was slightly zoomed in for some reason, maybe because we were in a smaller theater.

Still worth it, but I think I’ll watch Thor at home.

Agreed 100%, I can’t believe they got me! Although I knew it as soon as they were alive on the ground. I love that they played Maverick’s “sacrifice” late enough in the movie to be believable too. I would have bought that, but I’m glad they resolved the emotional tension between him & Rooster instead—and not just because of the ridiculous dogfighting silliness/awesomeness.

This movie struck a great balance between absurd, gleeful action and emotional character development that had no right to be as good as it was.

“It’s not the plane. It’s the pilot.”

Man, what a great moment right. Deep breath. Grab the throttle. Let us begin.

It reminded me of the more lively eco round comebacks in Counter-Strike. Sure, you’re hopelessly outgunned, but some creative, squirrelly movement can level the playing field, especially if you strike with the element of surprise.

For the aviation nuts in the group, the Fighter Pilot Podcast has been doing episodes interviewing the pilots (civilian and Navy) involved with both the original movie and the new one this month.

I actually think the stories are more interesting from the original (ep 143) – the guys being interviewed are in the “retired, nothing to lose” phase of life. :) But I enjoyed them all! (144 is the civilian cinematographer; 145 the Navy flying coorindator.)

My son wanted to see this instead of Thor 4 tonight, so here we are. The theater is packed. For a movie that’s a month+ old.

And?5

You can’t post a cute pic like that without sharing your post-movie high (?) with us. :)

-Tom

Haha not my first time seeing this, but it was my sons first time!

This movie is awesome, we all know that. Now the kid wants to watch the first one!

Saw this right before contracting the ultravirus.

So much fun. Loved it.

Incredible action shots, a plot that was basic enough not to get in the way of the action, some really touching tributes to the original, especially the stuff with Val Kilmer.

Just a heck of a lot of fun, this is how you do a sequel/reboot. (I am glaring at you Jurassic Park)

I’m sure none of those overseas ticket sales were made in Unnamed Rogue Nation. No way they’d let that movie play in their country, right?

Oh I am sure they are showing, and money is being made by someone

Finally seen this and wow, the hype really was warranted, this was great! I enjoyed it more than the first one, which I saw after some 20 years few months ago. Cruise gets more charismatic the older he gets. Can’t believe he is 60, wtf.

This was surprisingly good. Like most summer blockbusters, it’s best to unplug your brain a bit and not think too hard about it. I like the idea upthread how the whole movie is Maverick’s death-dream as he rapidly atomizes along with the rest of his plane 10+ miles above the Earth.

I think the meta aspects elevate the movie. The Val Kilmer send-off was fantastic. And knowing that the P-51 in the movie is Cruise’s personal plane is really neat.

Oh and I was really glad I watched this at home because the second that country music shit started playing during the end sequence I could not mute it fast enough. JFC.

Holy cats, this was fun.

Feel a bit dumb for not anticipating Chekhov’s F-14.

Don’t we all!

I’m surprised there was such love for this movie. I mean it’s fine in a Michael bay sort of way but the plot is absurd from jump and action completely cartoonish compared to the original that used real jets and practical effects.

Also the acting was absolutely awful throughout. It reeked of desperation to ape the original but fell flat at every turn.

Get off my lawn.

I’m sure there’s a bit of CG mixed in for backgrounds, but should we tell him about the filming in real jets?

I think this is our first reaction from someone who watched it at home instead of at the theater?