Top Gun: Maverick

f-14

F-14 carrier based swing wing plane now retired. Huge could shoot down rooskies from over the horizon.

Wings in swung position

swung

f-18

F-18 sadly not swing wing. Not necessarily carrier based and much smaller than a F-14

Well they did intersperse elements of the original into this. Goose, motor bike scene etc. Or maybe they didnt

LANAAAA! Danger zone.

The first movie looked so gorgeous it didn’t matter that the f(l)ight scene at the end didn’t make any sense geopolitically or tactically. This looks gorgeous too. I wonder if Maverick will be fighting a drone swarm in this one?

Those flight shots are gorgeous. Over 30 years and O-6. I mean, I know they are suspending belief and reality for the movie a bit. I’ll be seeing it. But he would be in forced retirement. I’m hoping they attempt to explain that a bit more than that dialog. He would also probably be forced off flight duty, but again, who cares, it’s Top Gun again. I feel the need, the need, for speed.

I can’t wait. Will loop this until its out.

Maybe it’s sort of a political/public relations thing. If they made him a big media hero after the events of the first movie and publicly he’s only received further awards and commendations since then, they might not want to force him out just to avoid the headline.

It’s 100% nostalgia. Just like comic book movies used to be before they figured out how to draw new audience. But I’m going to see it anyway, because flying. When was the last high-production Hollywood movie to feature flying? The original Top Gun?

Anyway for fun, here’s a AMV or whatever you call a music video based on a film for the Korean thriller R2B, which I’m sure is terrible except for the flying, but still looks fun from this video.

I think it was Stealth.

It was terrible. And not in a good way.

Count me in. I don’t expect to be surprised by any plot beats, but fuck if I don’t wanna go see that in the loudest, arm-chairing-est, MURICA-est theater I can find right now.

I dunno if you’d count Captain Marvel… Otherwise, maybe Flyboys (WWI, 2007) or Red Tails (WWII, 2012)? Haven’t seen them though I meant to.

With Hidden Figures and First Man, at least there’s been some rocketry movies lately.

Also Dunkirk in 2017.

Oh, good call. Those were great flying sequences too.

My son is joining the Navy next Wednesday as a nuke and will potentially end up on an aircraft carrier. This trailer hit me pretty hard.

Maybe “high production Hollywood” is pushing it a bit, but this was a cinema release.

My main reaction from the Maverick trailer was “I feel old, especially when I see how damned old Ed Harris looks.”

It’s funny that Ed Harris says Tom Cruise should be a 2-star admiral right now, as he’s wearing 2-stars himself and he’s a solid 11 years older than Cruise (and looks even older).

2 star is the max rank unless higher ranks are required due to war time and or the job position.

It is the highest permanent rank during peacetime in the uniformed services. All higher ranks are temporary ranks and linked to their specific commands or office and expire with the expiration of their term of command or office.

A number of Navy commands carry with them the 3-star (Vice Admiral) and 4-star (full Admiral) ranks . For example, the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) and Commander Pacific Fleet (COMPACFLT) are 4-star ranks and the Director of the Joint Staff is a 3-star rank. In all services, the 5-star rank (Fleet Admiral in the Navy) is reserved exclusively for war time.

I guess this will hold me off until Iron Eagle V.

I realize that the USN was silly to ever adopt Commodore as a grade in the first place since it was only ever a temporary posting in the RN. But Rear Admiral Lower Half is so aggressively bad a name for anything they shouldn’t have replaced Commodore with it.