Top Time-Travel Movies

Thought this list was a good way to start a convo about everyone’s top time travel movies.

Their list:

1. Primer
  2. Terminator
  3. About Time
  4. Back to the Future Part II
  5. Idiocracy
  6. Looper
  7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  8. Star Trek (2009)
  9. 12 Monkeys
  10. Edge of Tomorrow
  11. Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
  12. Planet of the Apes
  13. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  14. Groundhog Day
  15. Back to the Future

Edit: my list in text starts at 15 and counts down to 1, but it shows as counting up. I haven’t put any markup in there.

I think I’d want to find a place for a few more movies on this list. Including:

Time Bandits
Source Code
Donnie Darko
The Butterfly Effect

Now your turn. Go!

I am a fan of thought out time travel in books. I don’t think you see it as often as you see it in entertaining movies. As for a list I am not up to that but I do think Time Bandits should be on any list.

Isn’t your list numbered wrong?

It’s right in my raw text, but the forum is automatically counting up for some reason!

I thought they were making some kind of meta joke about time travel.

1. Primer
  2. Primer
  3. Primer
  4. Primer
  5. Primer

I think I’d separate time loop movies from time travel movies, there’s also enough of them now to qualify as a separate thing.

Jesus, that they omitted this but stuck in Star Trek 2009 is a bit depressing.

Speaking of movies in which David Warner plays the epitome of evil (a pretty long list), I still think Time After Time is pretty cool.

My favorite ever would probably be Terminator 1.

Also, although Somewhere In Time doesn’t really have a third act, the penny scene haunts me.

I’d probably put Predestination with Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook on there.

Lots of mine have been listed, but I would add:

Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home
Time Cop
Prince of Darkness (if messages sent from the future count).

Goofy name and JCVD antics aside, this is actually a pretty solid movie. I just watched it the other day on TV.

I was gonna say Time Cop as a joke but now Telefrog is making me want to watch it again. I haven’t seen it since the theater and I was not long out of puberty then.

#1 is obviously Primer. My favorite bit of Primer trivia is that they had the budget for something like 83 minutes of film and the movie is 79 minutes long, which means practically everything is a first take.

Yeah, dang, I forgot about Star Trek 4. They put a Star Trek movie on the ‘time travel’ list and not that one?

It is to sigh.

Somewhere in Time

Wow, Star Trek 2009 but no Time Bandits or Time After Time? OR STAR TREK IV?

This list is bullshit.

Indeed.

I hadn’t seen it in decades either but it popped up on cable the other day and I was surprised at how solid the script was. It even has the stuff where they show you a scene, then play it out again from the perspective of the time traveller that can’t be seen by himself. Good stuff.

Yeah, Timecop and Star Trek IV are great pulls.

Idiocracy isn’t a time travel story IMO. If it is, so’s the Mummy. Or Demolition Man.

And it’s terribly dated, but The Time Machine was pretty good, the first one, I’m not aware of older movies with the time travel motif.

Timecop was pretty great, you don’t expect decent sci-fi from a JCVD movie.

But pretty good list, I’m usually a sucker for Time Travel movies, but there aren’t that many that are good.

All I remember is the part when he kicks the guy’s frozen arm.

Does endgame count?