Torment: Tides of Numenera

Perhaps a better way to play Torment:

Steam just sent me a 25% off coupon for Torment: Tides of Numenera. If anyone was on the fence about getting it, maybe I can tip you over the edge with this coupon? I assume I’ll need your Steam name to send it to you.

Remember how Torment: Tides of Numanama shipped without an in-game codex, and I said I wasn’t going to play it until it was in the game?

Today that excuse went away. I got a Kickstarter update saying they’ve added a bunch of stuff, but most importantly for me, they added the “Voluminous Codex”, so that just like with Planescape: Torment, when you encounter something within the game world, an entry for it shows up in the Codex.

The codex in Planescape was so good, it was a huge part of why I enjoyed the game. So it’s cool that this finally got finished. Now the game is at 1.0 in my eyes.

Usually such a bump in content would make me jump back into a game but despite the addition of another potential companion and things like the codex, I just can’t bring myself to do it again yet. I have to wait until I can forget some story since it’d be like re-reading a book you only finished last week.

Yes, that’s how I feel. I was holding off trying Torment until the additional content was patched in. I think I’m ready to dive in now!

This is on sale now on Steam. People don’t seem to be too crazy about it though. i do remember Sean Sands liking it a lot. Is it worth spending time with?

I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it - you can see my more detailed comments previously - but it’s not in the same league as PS:T or BG2 imo. It’s more a tier 2 game in the genre - good but not worth full price.

I loved this game, one of the highlights of the year for me. But there is a lot of reading, which might not be for everyone. If you’d like to play a different take on the cRPG though, this is quite the thing.

Sounds like it may be a good buy.

I don’t mind the reading as along as it’s interesting. Reading is sometimes better than long voice overs that move along too slowly.

I find that I always finish reading before the voice over finishes.

True, but with good voice acting I enjoy listening to it. I wouldn’t want to read everything Geralt of Rivia has to say since I enjoy listening to him so much !

It sucks. The story makes little sense, the combat is bad and the NPCs are unmemorable.

I would describe Torment as an unending bonanza of incredibly cool one off science fiction ideas. With very occasional, but definitely bad, combat.

Yeah. I think the game would be much better with more combat, assuming the combat was good. But since combat in the game is almost entirely unnecessary, improving combat skills and gaining better combat items doesn’t feel like it’s core gameplay. Which makes the occasional unavoidable or accidental bad combat all that much worse.

I really liked the settings, the dialogue, and the characters. I never finished it, though. I got very near what I think would be a natural place for an end for the story, and was in a two or three part battle. The game keeps hanging before the next part of the battle begins. Maybe if I chose some different dialogue options I wouldn’t be fighting that fight, but oh well.

The weird stat pools and contests threw me for a long time, but I started liking them by the third major area of the game.

OK, so opinions are decidedly mixed. I do have Baldur’s Gate 2 Enhanced Edition that I’ve yet to play. I think Tides is worth a look at some point to see what it is about.

You typed “I didn’t like it” wrong there buddy. Each to their own, no need to be offensive.

The combat is occasional and not great, although it does have it’s moments. The NPCs are a mixed bag, but this game has nothing on Planescape: Torment’s party NPCs. There’s some very memorable non-party NPCs though.

I haven’t finished it but mainly because they added a bunch of stuff before I got around to doing so with the promise of more coming. That more might have already happened, I kind of lost track. So I kinda want to restart once that’s all in if it isn’t already, preferably after I’ve forgotten more of what was going on.

I really liked what I played though.

Meh, he gave an honest opinion. I found it illuminating considering the games he’s played, and the universal panning of this title. If you’re offended by that you’ll be offended by anything.