Tortuga - A Pirate's Tale or Turn based Sid Meier's pirates

I have been playing this since yesterday. I think its kind of ‘meh’ so far. It seems to just involve a lot of repetitive combat.

It also does not explain how to do a lot of things. For example, how do you attack a town? There is a crew wish to raid a town, but I have no idea how to do that. I have never seen an option when at a town to attack it.

And as I asked I figured it out. You need to be in pirate mode as you approach a town, then the dock icon becomes a raid icon.

Yeah, I bought it recently as well. Honestly it just made me want to reinstall Pirates! And so I did.

I might give it some more time, but I’m not sure.

Oh my gosh… Sailing Era looks like a spiritual successor to Uncharted Waters at first glance… I can’t believe this might be the game I’ve been looking for since 1995.

I never played Uncharted Waters but someone who did I know is really enjoying the game. A lot of reviews mention Uncharted Waters as well.

ship maneuvers do affect your chance of being hit fwiw. If you want to just circle of death you can, but you can also joust and hit and run and prevent good counter fire. there is a lot of potential depth it just is easy to move next and start trading shots which is what most people tend to do.

I think this game has a lot of work. Maybe in a year it might be really improved. It really seems like someone wanted to make a pirate game a little similar to Pirates! and then ran out of ideas.

There are also a lot of bugs and mechanics issues. IE: An enemy ship with no crew (you kill them with grape shot) still can move and attack. Similarly boarding said ship would cost you crew even though there was no defenders.

Sometimes when starting a sea battle near land it would place you ships so they must crash into something, ie: facing the beach with no room to turn around

The crew boarding mechanic is terrible and needs to be scrapped for something new.
The only real way to make money is to capture ships. The amount of cargo enemy ships have is pathetically small. I captured a convoy of 6 merchant ships. I got a less than 100 units of cargo even though the cargo capacity of said ships was like 2000.

The core mechanic of having to split up your loot to appease your crew needs to take far longer. I think after 15 days, your crew moral will tank. The real issue are all the promises you need to make and how they become more and more extreem. When I quit playing the promises were like, sink 38 ship, raid 15 cities, capture 27 ships, and things like that. You would have at best 15 days to do all of that.

Also I found the sea battles repetitive and boring after doing so many of them.

All this can be fixed, but will it be?

Yuck.