Total War: Three Kingdoms

I’m gonna sneak in some time to test on an old Stusserbeast. For science.

Start campaign button is not working. Hmm. I see, fullscreen had a mouse bug where the cursor didn’t point where it was. Switched to windowed to fix.

On slowlish system: ($90 passive video card Nvidia 1030)

End Turn 18 seconds
Battle timer 30 seconds (1030 video card)
Entering siege battle: 90 seconds.

Thank you wisefool. My only real performance problem in Warhammer is the ME campaign turn times. Price point is a bit high still, and I may give in.

18 seconds good. Goood.

This seems to be a pretty good guide. Text + pictures, no stupid video:

there’s other guides too:

You live in suspense when you play Total War: Three Kingdoms . All your friends and allies will one day turn on you, but you never know when. The genius here is that it doesn’t only happen once as everyone enters the final stages of the game, but every time the stakes get higher as the chaotic free-for-all of the late Han period gives way to the Three Kingdoms that give the period its name, and Total War its most satisfying strategy game in a decade. It is, at almost every moment you spend playing it, a game where all hell is about to break loose, or already has—In spite of your plans or often because of them.

I’m running on 2560x1440 on a rtx2080 and haven’t noticed any problems. I’m not particularly sensitive to graphic slowdowns though — for example, I’m often perfectly content with 30 fps in games where everyone is clamoring that 60 fps is absolutely necessary, so YMMV and you might see the exact same thing I’m seeing and I might just not be noticing it.

Also I haven’t gotten particularly far in the game and my largest battle involved 14 units on my side + 3 heroes with roughly comparable numbers on their side.

Fps wise it is fine, but it gets the card running so hot that windows is piping up and complaining. I will take a look tonight, maybe the evga program wasnt running and settings were messed up so it wasnt regulating heat properly.

That I haven’t checked on. I suppose I should get a temperature monitor up. Thanks for the warning.

I will be trying it in a few minutes and will comment on performance. Warhammer 2 plays well on my machine (except for the ME campaign turns). I hated playing full price and for a possible beta release, as is my usual judgment, but I cannot help it…

Ok my INITIAL thoughts on performance makes me believe the game runs BETTER than Warhammer 2. Maybe lack of spells and stuff helps but … load times are decent (10-13 secs) on an SSD drive. Turn times brisk (but there are a lot less factions that War2). Game looks great ….

I’m on Ultra settings with a Dell XPS I bought last summer. I forget my graphics card but I will look in a few and list it. NVidia GTX 1070. I think may be the first total war I’ve played that my computer that I currently have can handle well.

Well I am pleasantly surprised by the positive reception here.

I’ll keep my eye on it.

The info overlay (F1) is really useful as an introduction to the game. It categorizes and describes all the UI elements, and name drops some gameplay concepts. I read some criticism of the multi-layer UI, but so far I like it and wish a few more games had something like the info overlay.

My initial thought was the interface looked a bit busy --but I want to look at it further. The strategic layer is more complex than Warhammer 2 or for that Matter, Attila. It has some Thrones of Britannia in it as well. The character UI (skills, etc) looked complicated. The leader/heroes here look just as complex as in Warhammer 2. Maybe moreso.

I fought a few battles and, while they did look good (even with basic troops), it is no Warhammer 2 (so far). Though I was playing “records” not “romance”. One last thought was it appears to me at least that the battles played out slower in “records” than a normal total war… like a modded rome 2 with some slower battle mod on it. I liked that. I know in “romance” they are supposed to more arcadey. Archers seem a bit too powerful, however.

Question for anyone familiar with the era: Were Chinese archers in this era known to be more powerful than their western counterparts? Lighter armor and powerful bows could explain archery power but I always think missile weapons are too powerful in Total War games.

I think Total War games look very consistent about archery casualty rates (at least the historical ones). They can be powerful, but are unlikely to heavily damage a heavy infantry unit by themselves. Historically (in the West, at least), missiles thrown by skirmishers were extremely effective against massed light infantry (you are likely to hit something soft), and very ineffective against heavy infantry (mostly if they had good armor and/or shields). However, massed archers, while rare, were really effective when employed in the Middle Ages.

I know nothing of Chinese military history, though.

I have a different problem with my RTX 2080. The benchmarks are all good at 60+, but at some point during a game it’ll just start to chug. The game becomes extremely sluggish. However, for me it seems like it’s not utilizing the GPU anymore, as the fans don’t really kick on much. So it’s like I have the horsepower available, it’s just suddenly not being used.

I should check for updated drivers, maybe I’m missing one that just came out.

I solved my problem, pebkac in this case. Apparently at some point a system fan cable got unplugged so not all the fans were going. Running battle benchmark with 1440p and Ultra settings topped out at 69C.

The latest driver came out on the 9th I believe, 430.64.

I noticed on the fps graph for the benchmark there were some dips were it went pretty low. 1440p at Ultra averaged out to 58fps.

One of the YouTube reviews I watched said that a few bugs they ran into disappeared after updating device drivers.

Well, the first two hours have been quite enjoyable, got a lot to yet figure out of course, but so far I’m really liking this one.

I’ve got the “DRM Fail” error. I have rebooted, reinstalled, verified files, disabled every program running in the background, and am running out of ideas on how to resolve. I guess I’ll give it a try tomorrow morning and see if it goes away. If not, I’m going to have to refund the game, which breaks my heart, because I really want to play it.

Score one for DRM hurting paying customers. Again.

That sucks @CF_Kane I hope you get your issue resolved and I hope you get to play soon. Whenever people shrug their shoulders at DRM it’s worth remembering moments like this.

Unrelated, I saw it noted that all time peak player count for this has surpassed Civ 6’s peak count; by just a hair, but still surpassed.