Total War: Warhammer 2

Orc hordes spawn pretty often. They just die quickly most of the time.

I’d wait until they get their rework. They’re not a whole lot of fun atm.

The way it was meant to be.

Regards,
vyshka, King of Karaz-a-Karak

Dems fightin words humie!

I last played orcs a year or two ago, but the part where you get an extra army out of thin air, no maintenance, was pretty great. Especially given how autoresolve seems to favor numbers pretty heavily.

I just started playing this. Is there a way to move and wheel (rotate in place) formations? I found that the up arrow can move a formation forward in a clunky way, but I have not found a way to rotate them. I generally just pause the game, drag out where I want things to be, and then unpause. Id like a better solution. Doing it that way causes my formations to break up and then reform at the destination.

If you’re trying to move a formation and keep it in formation, you can select them and hold ctrl and alt. Drag the mouse with the cursor pressed to rotate and release to confirm.

Edited to add: if you don’t need to rotate the formation holding alt will move them to a destination in formation as well. Though you need to use CTRL-G to have units with different speeds stay in formation at all times. Otherwise the fast units will get in place first.

Thanks, Ill try that tonight.

I am 120 turns into a Lothern game that I’ve been playing since Christmas break. I’ve absorbed a few other high elf kingdoms but there are still a few remaining that I’m allied with. I’ve taken the Isle of Wights in the northeast and am taking the dark elf kingdoms in the west. The AI is doing a decent job of fighting me for their territory and have launched some decent counter attacks. The Dwarves were doing really well until about turn 100, and now the Orks have completely wiped the Border Princes off the map and are putting a hurting on the Dwarves. Once the Orks start gaining momentum it seems like they can be close to unbeatable. I’m considering sending a couple of stacks over to the old Border Prince territory to see if I can help out, but Chaos armies are spawning in the north and south and keeping me busy.

I have certainly got more than my money’s worth from TWWH 1 and 2. A truly epic gaming experience.

CTRL-ALT-Shift iirc.

You can drag and rotate the whole formation.
I admit I’m going by memory and might be wrong, but I can totally do it in game without thinking about it.

I think he’s looking for CTRL and arrow keys, actually.

• CTRL plus → = rotate selected formation clockwise, based in center of left- and right-most units. Choose one unit to rotate that one.
  • CTRL plus ← = rotate selected formation counter clockwise, based in center of left- and right-most units.
  • CTRL plus ↑ or ↓ = widen or narrow (via rows and columns) the formations of the individual selected units

Also until the bug gets fixed there is this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1962003012

Basically it fixes the One Army bug that the AI currently has apparently. Since CA only just got back from vacation, it might be a while yet.

Hm, I just last night fought against two Lizardman armies (from the same faction). OTOH I also confederated a Lizardman faction that only had one wondered general (ie no active armies). Both had 3 settlements.

Is there a way to make the arrow keys kind of stick? I mean If I hit up arrow my formation moves forward, but the moment I let go of the up arrow, the formation is locked to that position, and any other keys seem to start my formation positioning where my army currently is rather than from its last placed position (if this makes any sense to you).

Id like to tap up arrow a few times, then tap to rotate a few times, then maybe tap other keys to get the alignment just right. If I let go of any keys it sets my formation and any new keys start at the base position.

BTW I am doing the elf campaign, and does anyone have thoughts on what mage types are the best? I put a bunch of points into tempest with a high mage, and then found out it only targets flying units, which kinds of sucks. I have only seen one enemy flyer so far, bats from the vampire pirates.

I had another sky mage, which died. They had lighting bolt, but its nearly impossible to hit troops with it. Its like as soon as I cast it, it has a warmup time and all the troops scatter before it goes off. I also got a dragon, and the same deal with the dragon breath. All the troops run away before it actually lands the attack.

I am also closing in on turn 100, and I have only 3 provinces (that is 3 cities with their associated villages). I am not sure if I am doing poorly or what.

For High Elf, Light or Life. Light gives Net of Amyntok so buys your archers more time to bury arrows into the opposition. Life because you want to keep the health of your High Elf units high so they have their martial prowess boon.

Don’t judge yourself or compare how you are doing against others. TW:W doesn’t have a strict time limit like some of the previous TW games. You certainly could have more provinces, but go at a pace that is helping you learn the game. A good way to lose the game is over-expansion as the AI exploits holes in your defence if you find yourself at war with many factions.

I do have another question about magic use in battles. Is there a maximum amount of manna available in a given combat? At some point my mage stopped re-generating manna and I do not know if it was a debuff or just that there was some global limit. Also my mage was close to death, I do not know if that had anything to do with it.

Yeah there is.

You’ve got your starting winds of magic. Then to the side of that is a smaller blue bar that is the reserve. The higher the reserve, the faster your winds of magic regenerates. But you can only cast a finite number of spells in battle before the reserve drains away and then no more magic. Mage skills like Arcane Conduit do give a boost to the reserve. I tend to not bring more than 1 or 2 spell casters into a battle because it is so quick and easy to drain that reserve. Main thing with spell casting is to not waste what you have eg: using a “breath” spell and believing it possible to judge the charge of the spell against movement speed to land a skillshot. I do that too often before battlelines clash and don’t do anywhere near the damage I could have achieved if I waited.

I also think high magic is pretty good. Spells that give +20 to attack or defence (or -20) can make a big difference in melee outcomes, and you don’t need to worry about targeting.

And yeah, for targeted spells and breaths, usually you want to wait until the battle lines are fixed unless you’re really practiced with the casting and animation delays.

Thanks for the info. What does mistcast chance mean? I do not think I have seen a mage fizzle a spell yet, even with spells that say they have a 50% miscast chance.

For movement stuff, you can set waypoints with CTRL and right-click, but the moment you give that unit any other move order it will forget them.

As for miscast chance, that’s the chance using the spell will cause physical harm to the caster (you normally see this chance with amped up/more powerful spells). Edit - to clarify, the spell will still work, just that it will also harm the caster when it’s cast.

Thanks for the clarity. Now I know why my mage is getting hurt all the time.