Total War: Warhammer 2

Yeah, it’s a massive patch, which with Steam means downloading the entire thing again.

Imrik needs to be manually redeemed too.

Thanks I would have missed that. How annoying.

Thanks. I forgot about the extra frustration loop on some of the FLC. I believe several Regiments of Renown were hidden behind the totalwar dashboard to steam link/click dance.

On a side note, I bumped into some free e-“books” (more like e-very short stories) on the dashboard as well. I read a few. It is not going to win any literary prizes, but it does serve to give some context to some of the personalities in the game other than a set of stats, a unit model, and a name. As someone who mostly dabbles in WH40K lore, I found it interesting. It also served as a reminder to put some background Youtube Warhammer lore channels (such as The Book of Choyer) on instead of just podcasts with all of this work from home I am doing.

[disclaimer: I don’t know if the below is a “spoiler” or if such a thing is a thing for Warhammer. Other items on the channel have been purely fluff to compliment the game experience.]

I really, really hate when my allies take the third city I need to complete a province.

There are thankfully some mods to resolve that, although theyay need updating now.

i.e.
Allies Return Land
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1913352970
Region Trading
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1376337924

Had a crash after the addon loaded…mods I am sure. Playing it tomorrow. Locations in ME see … tough. (High elves).

We shall see.

Love the Massif Orcal start for Grom. Orcs v Brets is a rare matchup.

Gave myself a day off tomorrow to play High elves. They better be worth it. I want some lions!

Seriously though its a cheap expansion and fills out the me map.

Though I have to finally be a cynical player — if we would have KNOWN CA’s plans the last few years would all of us have been sucked into all these expansions? I finally looked at how much I spent on Warhammer 2 and was a bit surprised.

Finally – can you really play a real ME campaign without the expansions? I mean that changes the map. Heck the map was changed yesterday.

I am in all in. But I get the CA cycle. And while I am all in I am a bit annoyed now thinking about it.

I don’t think I’ve spent full price on more than one or two of these expansions. If one is willing to wait (and I tend to, though mostly because I rarely have time to play just when the expansion comes out), the cost always comes down.

It’s definitely the Paradox model of game sales, but I’ve generally found TWH to be pretty fairly priced. Their Free DLC is also quite nice (they’ve released quite a few Lords in this way) and has sometimes been very generous (e.g., releasing Bretonia completely for free).

Yes? I haven’t checked the latest expansion, but gameplay and map changes tend to come through the patches. The “only” thing you get through the DLC is the actual ability to play as the LL/factions in question, and to use new faction units (you’ll still fight against the lord and usually also vs any new units - you just won’t be able to get them yourself).

If devs want to keep making more content for games I love, and it’s great content, I’ll keep buying.

I feel like the Warhammer 2 DLCs have been universally worth full price. I was less satisfied during the game 1 time period.

But at this point I’m basically willing to buy DLC as long as they are willing to produce it assuming the quality level stays the same.

I’ve been enjoying how Eltharion can take a full-shooty army because the mistwalker units can all fight in melee extremely well and have charge defense, and he gets a skill that replenishes all his units ammo over time so running out of arrows isn’t really a thing. The capture mechanic starts off feeling fun and then gets tedious pretty quickly, unfortunately. But the good news is you don’t need to capture all that many, upgrading his citadel doesn’t take all that much.

A crappier roster and a mini-campaign that you played maybe once wasn’t a great deal. I’m glad they learned from it.

Yea removing the mini campaigns and deepening the roster on the new factions was definitely a good example of a company listening to its community.

It hasn’t helped that as time has gone on virtually every non-DLC has received updates, which really makes those old DLC factions feel underwhelming. But I’m basically certain Chaos will get a revamp no later than game 3’s release. I also know that CA is aware of how bad the Beastmen and Wood Elf campaigns are currently in comparison, and they’ve done a lot of work bringing the base game 1 factions up to speed. So I have hope.

And Norsca could really use another generic lord type at the very least. Having your leadership options be Throgg, Wulfrik or generic Chieftan isn’t great.

Yeah any faction with one option for a generic lord tends to feel bad, imo.

I suspect we’ll get a Fimir/Norscan mage lord at some point.

Beastmen need so much work I’m not sure what they’ll do. I can’t see them giving people enough to make them feel cool. Doombulls and Great Bray Shamans will still leave you with a roster that feels like crap. Maybe those two plus Ghorgon would be enough? The faction as a whole isn’t super exciting.

Wood Elves at least have an interesting roster. With just some tree updates and maybe an Amber change of some sort they’d feel pretty good. New LL’s wouldn’t hurt either, but that feels like a harder stretch.

My thought is the most interesting campaign is the Caledor prince in ME. Now that’s a tough one. And the map extends east for a fair bit with those skavens. But I will keep coming back to that one.

MisterMourning I agree Norsica needs another Lord.

I think I will backtrack on my comments a bit. Not one of the Warhammer dlcs has been anything but great. I think I dislike the overall financial CA idea (or paradox) of feeding dlcs out – but I can hardly complain. And the recent one (which I actually really like) was only 8.99.

Also… and I am not sure who pointed this out but --the map only changes by patch not dlc, so I may have been wrong there too.

Finally in agreement with Scott --who I tend to agree with now more than in the past – if the dlc drops for a game we love then its just icing on the cake.

I think what I realized after all these dlc was that this game takes some commitment. If you wanted to start playing Warhammer 2 at this moment it would cost you a tremendous bundle.

Anywho I am enjoying my Caledor campaign on me - that is hard … though I think it might be puzzly hard. In other words I get the feeling there is a right way to do that.

So I’m finally playing a campaign of this after owning it for years. My step-son has hundreds of hours with it, though mostly just setting up and doing battles. But I’ve just never taken the time to play more than a few hours. Generally, it’s due to winning a few battles and maybe taking a town only to be crushed soon thereafter by some massive army. So I restart once or twice for the same thing to happen then usually just take a break, which ends up being months.

But this week I played a few times, got crushed after a couple of hours, but kept coming back. And I finally sort of broke thru the wall and held off a couple of large attacks, held on to my province, had another sue for confederation so suddenly my empire is a few provinces big and holding together nicely. I even kept multiple armies in the field, helped distant allies fend off gobbies, and am currently building up a few of my settlements into level 4 and getting cool units.

I did a sort of save-scum last night before bed though when I was defending a fort and couldn’t figure out why all my infantry were up on the walls. So I moved them down to be ready for any sort of breach of the gates only to have the enemy’s infantry all have ladders when they got to the walls!? Needless to say, I was easily overcome. Anyway, I went on and quit for the night and figure I’ll jump back in from whatever save I had before the assault and not remove all my defenders from the walls. LOL.

How do yall remember your plans from one turn to the next? The little dudes and settlements are very ‘samey’ on the map so with all the units and armies I now have I’m finding it daunting to keep with an overall plan from one turn to the next. Especially since the turns take a while sometimes with all the heroes running around.

I don’t.

You can do little things like rename a hero as “Scout” or “assasin”. Or alt-tab and write notes on notepad with what you plan to recruit or whatever.