Total War: Warhammer 2

At first glance I thought the bottom picture was a Winds of Death picture but then I realized no one has that spell in DE vs TK. Must be Hellebron’s ability? Trying to think what else looks like that.

Totally unrelated.

I just don’t know what the pics are or what you’re trying to highlight.

Nothing, they were just cool screens, I thought?

Nice shots, are you using any mods for graphics, battles etc?

No mods or anything, just the base game on Ultra graphics settings (DX11) - I did use the “K” key to remove the UI first.

Oh they are! I always miss memes so figured I was dumb and blanked out on yet another pair :)

Improved Forge, made Coeddil immortal, buffed Orion and Durthu a bit.

Cool, the forge was a bit underwhelming. Especially compared to the Moulder mechanics which are both interesting and playthrough defining. I wish that CA would set the benchmark for mechanics at the Grom/Ikit/Thrott level for the two main lords added in each lord pack. But for every Ikit Claw with literal nukes and massive weapon team upgrades that completely change how you play Skaven, you’ve got a Malus Darkblade who’s mechanics are not just dull and insignificant but actively hinder you.

Not that I’ve got a problem with easier/harder campaigns. I like that some starts are easy and some are challenging. But the mechanics should still provide either some interesting choices or just flat out buffs to things you wouldn’t normally use and unfortunately a lot of the LL’s don’t provide either.

This is my favorite game but there is always room for improvement!

This is kind of where I am now.

Which is why Queek is the worst Skaven.

Malus is better with this patch, in that it’s not unplaybly bad, but it’s still kind of meh. Cold One Knights also got buffed so maybe he’s better, but the problem with them was never the cost or upkeep, it was that they’re not great cavalry and he didn’t do anything to help that.

Queek is like Default Skaven now, which kind of sucks for him. He brings basically nothing to the table. “Do you want to play Skaven but don’t want anything cool? How about your best lords are also basically unusable? That’s fun, right?”

To be fair to Queek, that’s also nearly the entire DE LL roster.

And while the forge as a mechanic isn’t super exciting, the Sisters as a faction are pretty cool and fun.

Not just me then? The Cthulu guy was ok-ish, but the other two, Malus and Hellebron, seemed almost impossible to play without cheese.

I dunno, is Queek worse than Tretch? At least Queek gets two factionwide uses of Menace Below every battle which is surprisingly not completely valueless. Even if it is boring and terrible compared to what some others get. Those two are really competing for the trash tier Skaven.

You might hope they have some kind of niche in multiplayer at least, but they don’t.

Hellebron isn’t so bad. You just have a constant money drain, but money is rarely an issue for DEs so it doesn’t mean much. Eventually you invade Ulthuan and are mostly fine.

Tretch got buffs with the patch to make his Stormvermin extra good. Queek got half upkeep on Stormvermin and Clan Rats. Which is pretty useless.

Extra Menace Below is handy, but it’s nothing special. Queeks “special thing” is Karak Eight Peaks in ME, which he barely cares about taking and and gets nothing of note for doing. In Vortex he doesn’t even get that.

The truth is that in campaign melee infantry and cavalry are 100% suboptimal in every situation outside of the extreme early game when you don’t have any other options, so any faction that tries to capitalize on them is going to inherently be bad.

They both seem pretty useless to me in comparison to Ikit or Deathmaster or Thrott. I hope one day CA will throw them some kind of bone but they are probably just SoL.

Well even if I’ve been off for a few months ==we all know that Warhammer 2 is the best fantasy strategy game of all time!

During my interregnum … I did grab the wood elves expansion… you know it is the time to pick a side and play a mortal empires campaign to completion. Yeap -== probably 30 hours in that!

Pick a side and let it start! I have yet to finish a mortal empiries game but by god I will get it done.

Well the good news is the Wood Elves campaign is pretty easy and short compared to most of the other mortal empire campaigns so maybe this will be the one :)

Ah but - we all need to get a mortal empires game down. Even me.

So lets just talk about the elephant in the room: Who has actually finished a mortal empires campaign?

And before you tell me you have – link it to me on steam… I find it a bit hard to believe atm.

And yes – I will never surrender a Warhammer 2 campaign. This thread needs some action!

When it comes to Mortal Empires, never. Heck, Vortex campaigns take long enough it feels like. One concession is I do play on Very Hard campaign and normal/hard battle difficulty, so it does become a bit of a slog with respect to managing public order and fighting efficient battles due to high quality AI troops they field in less time… But once past that hump, much as the grand campaign idea sounds good in theory, game mechanics and AI behaviour eventually boil down to throwing one big stack against another whack-a-mole style and the number of auto-resolve battles increase significantly.

After my aborted Dwarf ME campaign a number of DLC and patches ago where the VC were a hideously massive black blob above me, I don’t think I ever went back, enjoying the narrower focus of Vortex where I could expect the game to end around turn 150. With ME Dwarves, I think I was on turn 80 and had only barely defeated the Greenskins to the South. And the tactics all ended up being the same. And yes, Vortex for base game WH2 lords isn’t much fun, but for the newer lords with their own conditions, it’s pretty cool. I liked both the Tomb King and VC one, finished to completion. So much so I want to play either of those in a ME campaign. But I don’t think I have the stamina for it :) I’ve also done two High Elf vortex campaigns as both Tyrion and Teclis, they were less fun in comparison.

Actually not quite. My Teclis campaign improved once I modded the game. And one of the mods was awarding extra skill points per level up. A Teclis that could have access to every spell available to him, on the Arcane Phoenix mount was a one man skaven killing machine. I should share some of the mods I use at some point, but I’m not sure if they are compatible with the recent DLC that I’ve bought yet not played yet.

Also welcome back :)

Strato let me cognate all of that – but one thing that comes clear: Teclis is a super hard start on ME. But once he gets going…

Plus what dwarf me campaign did you call off? Problem with a good me campaign? Its almost a puzzle.