Total War: Warhammer 2

Yeah its a bad interaction between how CA wants to update all their big gigabyte packed files in a patch and how Steam keeps a copy of all patched files around in case shit breaks so it can revert.

I’m not entirely sure why they don’t structure their packed files so that the more commonly updated components are separated out.

Which is fine. Needing nearly 60 GB of free space to install a patch, however, is fucking annoying.

That’s on Steam though, not CA really.

Are you sure about that? I watched because I had to also do a 2GB updated for Batman Season 2 (Telltale) and it didn’t temporarily double the size of the install. It might be a CA thing - it’s the only game I remember having to deal with it?

So this is the new stuff. I like new mechanics. It’s new toys. Vortex has the Books of Nagash goal. I think it’s part of the lore, Vortex is like a prequel?

No preload, so it will load when you try to launch.

Tw2 sitting at 45 GB currently.

If Steam wants to make sure a somehow failed update cannot break a game, they have to keep a duplicate copy of changed files around. There’s no way around that. It just doesn’t play well with how certain games package/patch themselves. Path of Exile is another example where its just one giant packaged data file that needs to be copied.

Back in the Empire days CA used to patch by using smaller “patch.pack” files instead of updating the original files, but that has a separate tradeoff of increasing install size over time as patches came in. What I think they could do is split out commonly updated files into their own packs so that minor patches don’t require touching the big packs, though this doesn’t help the big patches like this one that adds content.

Vortex campaign - I am getting my ass kicked as the first Tomb King option (left most guy in the selection screen). I’m playing on hard because normal was way too easy with High Elves and it said this was an easy start. Maybe I’m trying to unify my province too fast but dang, the orcs come out of the gate mad and just destroy my province sacking and looting and pummeling my decrepit army.

I don’t remember taking so much attrition damage over hostile terrain either, especially when not sitting on negative landscape for the turn. Sphinx unit is so much fun. First time I ever felt like I wanted to take control of a unit in this series too. Lotta fun, and everything looks great. Did I say this was fun? Cause yes it is!

I had the exact same experience today. I think the issue is that the basic, freely available skeleton units are not just expendable fodder but also very susceptible to being destroyed. They have a self-DOT that needs to be offset by winning quickly, and by taking casualties (but not too many). The Orks stomped me partly b/c they had heavier infantry and partly they had cavalry, which I lacked other than the Sphinx and a chariot.

Also, I think the undead attrition is a feature, not a bug. I’m pretty sure the undead take attrition everywhere except desert. Between the self-DOT and the attrition, the Undead armies are always being whittled down, unless they are in a city or a desert. I think that’s part of the design.

Watching Youtubers that specialize in Warhammer, it seems like the Tomb King basic units are pure trash. The key seems to be getting a second army going asap.

Also remember you can kind of cheat in recruitment - something i never knew until watching said Youtubers above. You can recruit from both local AND global pools simultaneously. This amounts to something like a 1.5x rate of recruitment. Normally this is something you don’t want to do because global recruitment is significantly more expensive (double? triple?) the cost of local recruitment… but Tomb King units are free. Recruit without worry about cost!

Ok tried this on Vortex/Settra/Normal.

Take first city north, salt plain. Then go settle ruined Zandri. Keep recruiting stuff. By the time I got back east to the orc place, a 20 stack orc stack faced mine. I tried to ambush, but he went around and attacked Salt plain. This was good because I had the garrison to reinforce.

Win that. The orcs have nothing left, clean up orcs.

Turn 15. Decided I’ll NAP and trade two tomb king factions. Maybe I can get them to vassal annex later. They had 20 stacks too and I didn’t feel confident enough fighting them. This is the puzzle part of most TW games. Getting locked into diplomatic thingies. I guess I should ignore diplomacy and just expect war with everyone, but it’s a hard habit to shake.

Gonna move on to vampires South and try for that first book.

edit: oops no confederation allowed.

You get a second stack pretty early, mind you. I have sacrificed entire armies for Settra, and I don’t feel bad about it either.

Yeah I killed my first Tomb King, in the black pyramid. That second army was needed! I think I lost 25 units.

Those chariots are so fragile. This begs for coop so someone can micro the chargers.

Heh. Those Wood Elves near Settra are funny. You want to shoot arrows at us, Asrai? Fire away.

Do you know how many skeletons I am willing to sacrifice to be rid of you?

All of them.

If you choose to get a priest for Settra’s army, get the net. Settra gets a vortex spell. I got the unbreakable instead because I thought i’d be nice for holding the line.

I’m playing around with using Settra (on a mount) or that Warsphinx you start with to pin the enemies. Doesn’t seem to work as nicely as a net would. Will see.

How do you get more Lords? Not the ones added to the pool, but I need a 3rd Lord to go exploring.

Also:

Savage orcs simply wreck the skeleton units. I don’t think it’s because the skeletons are trash but more so that savage orcs may be the best tier 1 infantry unit when fighting other infantry. I’ve had decent success pinning them down with sword skeletons and focus firing archers into the melee, but I think I might be even better off with spearmen just to hold the line a little longer.

I wouldn’t call Settra an easy start like the game claims.

Probably figured it out by now, but you get more lords by unlocking the various Dynasties in the tech tree. The long research adds +1 army cap. You can also spend a bunch of gold and a ton of canoptic jars to unlock extra army slots through the Mortuary Cult canoptic jar spending menu thing.

I dunno, Skeletons are extremely weak, but you start off with that War Sphinx which the savage orcs have no real way to deal with. I just took the orcs down in 4 turns or something and then you are in a very safe part of the map isolated from pretty much all the dangerous factions giving you plenty of time to build up.

In fact, I think Settra’s start feels extremely similar to Manfred’s start: a bunch of useless chaff units with a powerful lord and 1 high tier unit (fatbat in Manfred’s case), surrounded by weak factions. I’d put it in the Easy category. Though the difficulties they assign some of the campaigns do generally feel a bit arbitrary.

It helps if you can break their charge using the BattleCat or some other such unit. One of the savage orks’ big advantages is their unusually high charge bonus, and that can melt normal skeletons.

Don’t savage orcs have some physical resistance?

https://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Savage_Orcs_(Unit)

Damage Dealer
Frenzy (more damage with high leadership)
Warpaint (30% physical resistance)

Decent speed and a boatload of hitpoints too.

When I say Settra isn’t easy, I am comparing against Empire and Dwarf starts. The initial army is quite good because of the sphinx, but garrisons are near useless even if you’re fighting against half the numbers. Their 3 armies split up and kept sacking my small settlements and leaving those giant pile of poo buildings (-10 public order and 500gp to demolish).