Total War: Warhammer 3

When you set up a co-op campaign you can actually set “auto-resolve only” iirc but then that’s kind of the point of the game, right? The battles*? It would be like firing up Command and Conquer and being like “ugh, I have to build units and send them at my enemy? God, can I skip this part of the game?” :)

*I am of course joking, the battles are a lot of fun but we are blessed with a game that also features a legit fun 4X style turn-based campaign and I’m super excited for the upcoming diplomacy changes and other QoL features that continue to improve the campaign map aspect of the game.

In all seriousness, I tend to play the early battles out so I can get warmed up to how my factions early units play and how the faction as a whole plays. I really am the happiest with the small form skirmishes, like 8 to 10 units vs the same, and that’s what most of the first 10 or so turns of a campaign are. It’s a good chance for me to get kind of used to using the units and early game spells and such in a low stake setting (usually).

Then I will start to auto-resolve easy fights, and only drop into a fight that could normally be auto-resolved to play with and see new units that I’ve gotten since I last played a battle. Or quest battles, of course, as they tend to be pretty interesting.

And as @Tim_N mentioned I’ll auto-resolve battles that I have no chance of losing with the auto-resolve (or I only lose a who cares unit or two), but I’m not necessarily better than the AI at playing - I may be, but it’s kind of a toss up as I never bothered to really actually learn to be good at the game, I just have fun playing it. @ShivaX is a lot better at this than I am - I always do a lot better when he tells me where to place units and gives me tips that seem obvious in hind sight, but I’m more a “let’s just smash my units against your units and I’ll pepper you with ranged and magic and here comes my charging cavalry!” kind of guy. It usually works. I’ve seen Shiva take a “close victory” and play it out to avoid losing a Regiment of Reknown and end up with a Decisive Victory and lose almost nothing. If that was me I’d probably have changed it to a close defeat, LOL.

Mostly I agree with Scotch here, but I sometimes end up fighting a lot of fairly easy battles when I have an awesome army and I just want to see things go boom. Sometimes even for the cough cough tenth or twentieth time.

Oh yeah, I do this as well - I think we are on the same page, actually.

“Move quickly enough and you can avoid being attacked by another player”

Okay so they took the civ 4 method. They don’t really explain when battles take place thought… immediately? So what happens to the overland map while this battle is resolved? Does anyone else get to play or do they all wait for that battle?

Oh yeah.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NextAptAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam-size_restricted.gif

Definitely.

But not as often as you saw me lose a hero to autoresolve because I clicked too fast.

I think I went through 5 Death Hags before the autoresolve decided they didn’t need to die for no good reason.

“Army of spearmen and archers vs your dragons and shades. Easy win.”
“Autoresolve it is.”
“Oh btw your Death Hag dies somehow.”

Autoresolve also loves to kill skaven assassins. Even skavenslaves have better life expectancy.

Yeah some heroes, especially at low levels, just die.

My Death Hag kept dying until I got a Ward Save amulet for her, then she just got badly mauled.
After a few levels she stopped taking damage at all for the most part. Because autoresolve reasons.

Basically anything with low armor and/or Melee Defense is good candidate for mysterious death unless it’s a caster or something. I assume it simulates them charging in alone for no reason and dying horribly.

It’s one of the reasons I level MD on melee heroes ASAP. Once that gets high enough they seem to not die much. Health is usually the next target (or even more MD if available). Once you max the first tier of MD they seem to live fairly well, but before that instant death is more likely than not.

Kabooms fun yes

What spell was that?

“Morale Fucker 3000” (probably overcast)

2 Comets of Cassadora or whatever it’s called and 2 of something I don’t recognize.

Apparently streamers have early access a week early

2x Arnzipal’s Black Horror (from item)

slow-moving line spell

That’s what I thought it was, but two of them made me assume it couldn’t be what it was.

Because I get that thing so rarely I forget it exists, much less two of them in the same army.

Just one more week!

So many amazing little touches. There is a guy out there doing little 20-50 second videos showing off some interesting details in Warhammer 3 that I just discovered.

One example is the threat indicator you can now see when you have your army selected and hover your cursor over an enemy army. This will make it - at least for me - a lot easier to see if my full stack is going to destroy a settlement or I’ll feel like a fool when I get there and start a siege only to see I’m well and truly outclassed, for example.

Another cool touch is you can see what individual factions consider their biggest threat. This is super interesting, and another transparent layer of the AI diplomacy that I really like.

It can change as the game progresses of course - it’s a real time look at what the AI is considering the biggest threat for said faction.

I’ve been going through this Unit Roster Overview playlist of the six new factions, so I have a sense of what all the different units I have and how those I’m facing work:

If I’m reading this right, this will be up and ready for me when I wake up Thursday morning (2am CST)? Hm. I wonder if maybe I should take a day off from work on Thursday…