Total War: WARHAMMER

Wouldn’t a reskinned elephant with a bit more speed do the trick?

It might, but I suspect the way they have elephants coded in the Warscape engine would make turning it into a wheel of death not work correctly - at least not the way Warhammer fans would expect it to.

As much as Warhammer Total War sounds awesome, I have turned away from the franchise for the last several games. They never seem to release the single player AI DLC. :/

Getting tired of defending this game, but the emperor edition introduced a vastly better AI, it will siege properly now, it’s the best this AI has ever been, and if you don’t believe me, do a fight vs a cavalry nation, the AI will frustrate you no end.

Hn,mwwwwa

Well, they screwed up the launch. That’s what happens. The rep at launch gets cemented forever in the minds of most people. I like Rome 2 now, but at launch it was clusterfuck, and I don’t feel sorry for CA getting a critical drubbing over it.

No gameplay, but an official trailer:

Again, this is pretty much my dream game.

PR sheet:

Hell yes! Give me now, please?

This is a license to print money and they know it…

DLC is going to be intense (I’m expecting a different approach than other TW games, with bigger factions DLCs this time, probably tied to SP campaigns…).

Can’t wait.

I won’t be pre-ordering or anything, but if it turns out to be a solid and fun game it will likely be the first Total War game I’ve ever bought.

Agreed with the entire quote. I don’t see how DLC is going to be anything other than “Now play as the High Elves! Now play as the Skaven! Now play as the Orcs!” etc etc.

So just like the miniatures game!

Sure. But it will be ~$8, not several hundred, not to mention the time it takes to paint them… ;)

Skaven would make a great pre-order bonus.

See? They’re a great deal then!

Isn’t the Warhammer license really saturated at this point? Maybe I’m just thinking of 40k, but it seems like you can’t update Steam without some sort of new Warhammer game coming out.

-Tom

Imagine if they implement some kind of feature where you can optionally paint your own virtual armies! That would be kind of cool!

Those aren’t mutually exclusive statements.

Games Workshop properties are definitely highly saturated since they seem to give the licenses out to just about anyone who asks. But at the same time, this particular pitch (make a relatively literal translation of the epic fantasy battles you’re supposed to imagine when playing the tabletop game, using a developer and gameplay foundation with a solid track record of large-scale battles) should appeal to far more people than “random GW license of the week from no-name developer”.

I thought GW used to be more protective of their IP. While a Total War translation probably has the best potential of all the recent releases, flooding the market with tons of sub-par theme-pasted-on titles probably has weakened the brand for the wider market. Not the core fanboys, but people like me that just dabble with Warhammer.

-Todd

Bloodbowl does this.