Total War: WARHAMMER

I see CA’s reputation for technical difficulties is still alive.

Yep, looks like if you grabbed it early, you’re hosed until tomorrow.

Correctable, but somewhat scary process.
Help -> Steam Support -> Games -> Total Warhammer -> Permanently Remove Game From Account -> Bretonnia DLC (there are 2 entries, other is base game) -> Confirm

And then get another key from https://dashboard.totalwar.com/

Right on, that worked (despite the scary indication that it was going to permanently remove the entire game from my account). Thanks, @fdsaion!

It’s now been fixed.

I like how different Bretonnia feels from the Empire, they have interesting mechanics and I love the theme. My economy feels much weaker than my Empire games which makes ransoming captives in battle very tempting… but doing so will kill your Chivalry. Your Lords also develop a lot of traits based on what you were doing. I had my main army sitting idle garrisoning a city, and my leader started getting slothful, which forced me out into the wild. Meanwhile, fighting numerous waves of Greenskin and Beastmen incursions turned my enchantress in to Jeanne d’Arc.

I’m still really bad at the battles in this game, and I’ve been especially bad using cavalry effectively (I get tunnel vision). Playing Bretonnia is going to beat that out of me, I hope.

Early reports say it is pretty hard. Which scares me, because dear god am I crap at this game right now. I watch some YouTubes and think “oh, right, that makes sense” then when I try to do it… well, not so much.

It’s fairly rough if you try to move out. Your first 20 turns will have a Greenskin Uprising. You need to just let it happen and farm it for money and Chivalry near as I can tell.

Depending on who you pick you can have some pretty brutal enemies as well. Mariemburg is one of the strongest factions in the early game and Leon start at war with them. Enchantress starts at war with Orion. And you can’t really field a full stack early because of peasant mechanic.

This might actually get me back into TW:Warhammer. Every time I start enjoying a TW game something makes me bounce off them completely. I keep thinking how much better the game could and should be by this stage, instead we get some (very very pretty) shinies…still, a fun game, I’m just being demanding and asking for an amazing game, instead of a solid and good game like we have now.

Edit: also I personally find this particular fantasy world incredibly stupid and silly, but not in a good way. It feels like what it is, cobbled together mythos for an alternative audience now transposed into a computer game. Not a bad thing perse but I keep wishing it was Game of Thrones Total War, or LOTR…or anything other than Dwarves being stubborn just because, Orcs being sentient mushrooms :S etc.

I mean, even the naming feels lazy. Bretonnia = Brittany = oh look a French accent. The entire set up lacks subtlety and I am getting old, being hit over the head with it just isn’t for me.

Dominions 4 wins this world building contest easily imho.

Yet I will still play TW.

I love the world. Not due to any sort of world building narrative, but because of the scenarios it provides. You have the Empire which is in a renaissance era of technology, with heavy use of gunpowder weapons. It’s early, though, so they still have their swordsmen and their crossbows and their knights. Bretonnia on the other had is still very feudal. It’s roster is filled with powerful knights and shitty peasants handed weapons and told to get into formation. This feudal system also ties in to how their mechanics work… you can round up the peasants from the field to fill out your armies, but your farms are going to suffer. Their lack of technological progress is most noted in the lack of artillery… a relatively simple trebuchet, compared to the mortars, cannons, and helblaster volley guns of the Empire. They both, however, make use of magic.

Then to add to the mix, you have the primitive but monstrous Beastmen, the typical woodland elves, the orcs, the undead, etc. Sure, you could have elves in LOTR or any other fantasy setting and watch them fight orcs or knights, but we’ve seen that a million times. Those neatly packed elven spearmen and warriors you see in a LOTR film? I want to know how that regiment stands up to a volley from a helstorm rocket battery.

I think the Warhammer setting sets up a lot of interesting battles between various factions that you wouldn’t see in a lot of traditional fantasy settings.

Well I guess you’ll be glad to know that Games Workshop blew the whole thing up.

Man, I’m still 150 turns or so into my first Dwarf campaign (well, the first one I stuck with anyway). I’ve pretty much handled the orcs without too much trouble, but man Chaos is kicking the shit out of me. How do you people complete so many campaigns? It’ll be ages before I need to dip into expansion content.

For Chaos you may wish to break out the guns. All of their tough stuff is armored, so guns work better than the crossbows. Artillery helps too- some top tier organ guns with an engineer should help thin the waves.

Info (and speculation) on the sequel to Warhammer (planned out to be a trilogy, if you’ll recall) and some minor info on the next historical game they are also working on.

I defeated Khazrak One-Eye with Louen and got a special ability! Perhaps there are special rewards to be gained for defeating all of the faction leaders in combat as Bretonnia?

so they’re done with the dlc for this. is there any essential dlc for anyone who picked it up for cheap with humble monthly?

I’ve enjoyed the DLC, but they’re not at all necessary. You just add them if it’s an area you’re really interested in. I have a friend who’s always big into Elves, so the wood elf DLC was a no-brainer for him. I was having a ton of fun playing the dwarves, so I picked up the DLC that adds an additional dwarf faction you can play.

I’d say play the base game and if you see a faction or something that you really want to play, or you want to add more to an existing faction (empire, vampires, dwarves, whatever), go grab the DLC for it.

oh it’s all factions? nothing single player content/campaign wise?

The factions come with unique campaign stuff.

It’s single player too. There’s wood elves and beastmen that are on the campaign map but you can’t play as them without the DLC. There are multiple dwarf and greenskin factions, buying the small DLC associated with them opens up a new faction of each you can play. Again, they’re on the campaign map regardless, but you can’t play as them without the DLC.

The expensive DLCs (elf and beast) come with their own campaigns as well, in addition to the grand campaign map.