Total War: WARHAMMER

okay, In my opinion…

The single biggest issue of ALL previous Total wars are siege and siege mechanics, it just haven’t worked, except in Shogun 2 where by luck it seems they figured it was easier to have the men climb the walls, and as such the AI could actually fight a siege…

However in Rome 2 , they went back to siege, but reduced it so that not every settlement was a siege…unlike say Medieval version where EVERY fight was a siege and they didn’t work, and they had HUGE issues with slowdown.

In my opinion, that makes M;TW2 and TW Empire etc, utterly pointless to play unless you like laggy sieges.

Luckily, in Warhammer they got rid of the stupid fights, even in Attila and Rome, the small settlements where such a roadblock to the AI, it was honestly UTTERLY incapable of fighting those battles…

Case in point, on very hard, I could hold a Northern English city almost forever because the angle of attacks was so small, that a single unit in Tetsudo could block the entire army forever…and you just waited for the towers to stick an arrow in EVERY single guy…

Those battles took forever, but you won.

They need to make Medieval 3 with Warhammer mechanics of battle, and all might be just peachy again…however until then, only self-punishing people would ever want to play Medieval TW 2…or those with 2 computers who can play a sidegame while waiting for a siege to run its course, or just the end turn button to finish…

So tempted to bite at $12 – I can immediately cancel, right? However, looking at previous monthly bundles they aren’t half bad – regret missing XCOM 2 last month. Any hints on what the next bundle will contain?

If you sign up for total war access you get the expansion a day early (tomorrow)

Isn’t 2/28 (tomorrow) the release date officially?

Yes 2/28, but you can get it a day early (today).

Oh, okay, I thought Jeff was saying tomorrow was “a day early”. Gotcha.

It looks like he posted right after midnight, so that’s probably where the confusion came from. :)

The Bretonnia update is out now, for those who signed up on the Total War Access site.

Didn’t work for me. Shows as “not installed” in my Steam library, despite restarting Steam after I redeemed the early access offer on their website. Steam’s not downloading it.

Yeah, I seem to be having problems too. It keeps telling me “Thanks for redeeming your DLC, please restart the game” but when I restart I get the same message. Seems like they’re having some technical problems.

EDIT: There’s a CA employee on /r/totalwar confirming that they’re having technical problems.

I must be a member of the TW Access, I’m getting a 2GB update all the sudden!

You’ll get the big update regardless, but you need to “Redeem” the free DLC before you can play as Bretonnia. You can redeem it via the Access page, but something appears to not be working correctly on their end still.

Ah, well, that sounds like too much work. I’ll just wait until it’s all working to try it out, I probably won’t get to it until after Torment (and then Horizon after that) so I’m sure it will be worked out (and maybe a hotfix or two!) by then. :)

If anyone plays a little of Bretonnia, I’d love some impressions.

Yeah, totally not worth the hassle (especially with it not even working :)). I’ll likely take them for a spin later today. I haven’t followed any of the pre-release info, so I’m going in blind.

They’ve revamped Brettonia entirely. It’s all units of two-handed watery tarts now.

I got in and and it looks fantastic! Now to bed, damn pancrease :(

It’s still busted for me, seems to be the case for most people that redeemed it early.

Dang :( prolly won’t let you do it under another name/userID will it?

So Isabella unlocks tomorrow, but I can play Bretonnia right now?

So strange.

Yeah I don’t think it’ll work, because it seems like it was a glitch that happened when adding it to my Steam account. It’s in some sort of limbo between being activated/installed and not.