Toy Garage Door

My six year old son is high-level autistic (diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome) and as such becomes acutely obsessed with odd things. His obsessions are generally with mechanical items, like ceiling fans, locks, and such. His current obsession is with garage doors. He talks about them all the time and loves to watch them operate. If a neighbor has their garage door open, he will sometimes sit at a window waiting to see it close.

So I would love to get him a toy that had an automatic garage door opener, particularly one with a remote. My Google Fu is weak, so I didn’t find anything there. And I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that doesn’t exist, but what the heck, I thought I’d ask here if anyone had any ideas. If nothing else, I’m sure there will be some amusing replies. :-)

If you have the space and want to go all out, there’s this thing : http://www.leapsandboundscatalog.com/jump.jsp?itemID=403766&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=403766&cm_ite=LAB

The only small garage toys I know of aren’t automatic.

That is pretty cool. I’m sure he would love it, but I was thinking along the lines of something smaller and less expensive. I don’t want to spoil him. :-)

SHIT PANTS, is this still QT3?

Why? That was the least amusing post I’ve ever read on Qt3, potentially.

Really? Because I thought it had potential for a BillD rant on autism, which could be pretty amusing.

I didn’t mean to imply that my post was amusing. It seems that many replies here to serious questions are jokes rather than serious answers, which is fine.

Cripes. The word is “choggle pants”.

Troy

How about an automatic dog door? Some raise and lower similar to a garage door, and you could mount it in a sheet of plywood & keep the whole assembly inside.

And yet, the expression “Beggars can’t be choosers” springs to mind. I can’t imagine too many of theses kinds of things exist, and $100 doesn’t seem like much for something that the kid will clearly enjoy for some time.

Fair enough, though space would still be an issue. I wasn’t too hopeful to begin with, but was curious as to what reponse I would get.

Okay, fine:

Don’t buy him anything, just try to hug him for an hour straight every night. Gets you a good cardio workout, wears the little bugger out.

Now, if anyone needs me, I’ll be cruising the children’s burn unit at UMC with my prodigious stock of flash paper and joke cigars. Aren’t you a little young to be smoking, young man? HONK HONK

On the more ambitious side (I remember legos being very expensive when i was young)

Lego elevator:

http://lgl.epfl.ch/Conform/CoopnTools/examples/Lift/lego/Hardware.htm

Lego house with garage door:

http://daviscreek.cabe.k12.wv.us/missadventureshelterauto20012002.htm

Not sure if the interesting bit is the movement, or a combination of the movement and the sound of the garage door. I think the sound is an important part of the interest because the frequency of the sound matches the movement of the door (minispurts)

Dear PeterK, I have six years old son with the syndrome with your son, he obsessed exactly like your son. I am now looking exactly Garage door with mechanical items. Talking about neighbor,he does the samething, wait until the door close. My question,did you find the toy?,where can I find it…Thanks so much.

Edit (Stusser): Removed what appeared to be an accidental link to a malware site.