Toy Soldiers for PC

Toy Soldiers is fine, but it’s no Cold War!

-Tom

What about the new Cold War DLC that came out this week on the 360 Tom? Had a chance to try it yet?

Here’s the description of each one on Xbox Live:

Since its not available in my part of the Globe, if anyone here would like to gift it to me, I can pay via paypal. :)

Thanks, please drop me a pm

I’ve been playing about about 90 minutes and have just completed the 3rd Campaign mission, Bosschen Woods. It took me 3 attempts to take out the monster Tsar tank.
First Tower Defence type game I’ve ever liked in truth. There is enough going on to keep me firefighting without feeling overwhelmed, and the visuals, sound and music are lovely.

It makes me think of a less frenetic Orcs Must Die!, and to be honest I think I like it this way a little better - what with the renewal of my geezer membership card and all.

Dan, that’s a good way to describe it, it seems, and I think I agree with you. I loved Orcs Must Die in theory quite a bit more than I did in practice and the unmanageably frenetic pace was the biggest reason.

GFWL ? Whyyyyy

It’s still a great game though, time to get those achievements !

same here, I´ll pay in advance plus I’ll have a copy of dogfighter for the trouble

Is there a way to invert the mouse on this thing? I keep lowering the barrel when I mean to raise it.

In the first Toy Soldiers, at least, there’s much less need to kill people yourself than in Orcs Must Die. You can let your emplacements do most if not all of the killing and complete the levels. Cold War puts more of an emphasis on taking control of the towers and vehicles. On the other hand, you have much less freedom over where to you can put emplacements than in OMD.

I’m enjoying the game, but what a shitty port.

1. Have to log in via Windows Live to play. Every time. I assume that’s their version of DRM, but come on, I’m playing it on Steam.

2. When the game patched, it said “Please exit and restart” and popped up the Windows Live login. If I tried to log in it would say “update pending, please restart the game” and pop the Live login back up. If I clicked the “x” to close out, it just popped the Live login back up again. Only way to “restart” was to Alt-F4 out of it.

3. There are still references to using the “Home button on your controller”. Silly game, you’re on a PC with me using a keyboard/mouse.

All in all, liking the game but wishing I had purchased on xbox instead. Speaking of which, since I have to log in using my Windows Live ID and all, does the PC registration allow me to play the game on the xbox?

Apart from using Games for Windows Live, it’s absolutely excellent.

It’s also a bit disturbing for anyone raised on the horrors of WWI at school - a verey light goes off in the sky, someone blows a whistle and then waves of young men just shipped to the front come charging at you in neat waves. All you need to do is hold down the fire button on the machine gun and down they go like so many skittles. I think the moment it got me was around mission 3 or 4, when you unlock mustard gas and the in-mission bonus is for personally gassing 50 soldiers with your new toy: there’s a hiss and a cloud of green smoke and then an entire attack wave is gone, choking and gasping to death in the Flanders mud.

Best fun for me was when I unlocked the aeroplanes and I got to play Biggles, desperately maneuvering to get behind the hun in a trusty Sopwith Camel. In a nice touch, exiting the plane sends it spiralling to the ground in a tailspin (historically, pilots weren’t issued with parachutes because it was thought to encourage bailing out…) so you may as well kamikaze any plane you no longer need into the nearest enemy.

It’s silly good fun and very clever, I really like the toy soldiers aesthetic and it’s quite thought provoking too. Hope they bring out the Cold War expansion (expandalone?) on PC soon.

I don’t log in with Windows Live — I think I just escaped out of it. I haven’t played MP though.

Is there any multi with this? I can’t see any.

Playing this left me wondering: are there any modern WWI flight sims out there? I remember playing the hell out of Knights of the Sky and Red Baron years back.

Rise of Flight.

This aspect really surprised me. I think the developers did a good job with that. Although maybe I am in the right frame of mind as I’ve just started reading Storm of Steel.

I assumed there was, because Steam told me I wouldn’t be able to play MP without logging in. That could be a generic message for all games, though.

If there is Multi I haven’t found it yet though the game keeps reminding you it’s in there.

Yes. There is an awesome one: Rise of Flight.